Selecting Adult to OA

We have an obnoxious,disruptive adult in our troop.His son was elected to OA several years ago.He feels he belongs in OA. He had a run in at a OA function and was asked to leave.He called the OA team to our troop to do election.It turns out 1 boy was elected.Come time for the adultvote.others refused or were not interested.He was only one qualified and was elected.Is our vote a automatic in or does OA have final word who gets in.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adults are not elected, they are selected. Any year that an OA election results in at least one youth being elected, the troop committee can select a registered unit adult age 21 or older (1 per 50 youth in the troop) to be an OA candidate, but it is not required to select any adults.

Someone who oversees an OA election team can chime in with more details if they so desire.(This message has been edited by nolesrule)

Adults are not elected, they are nominated.

From the website:

Adults (age 21 or older) who are registered in the BSA and meet the camping requirements may be selected following nomination to the lodge adult selection committee. Adult selection is based on their ability to perform the necessary functions to help the Order fulfill its purpose, and is not for recognition of service, including current or prior positions. Selected adults must be an asset to the Order because of demonstrated abilities, and must provide a positive example for the growth and development of the youth members of the lodge.

Who does the nomination depends on the unit and district. For the troop I serve, the COR and our OA adviser consult with me and we choose one or two candidates that we believe will be of aid to the youth. For us that often means adults with a son in the OA that can help with one of the ceremony teams. There are years we do not nominate anyone. Note that the are not being nominated in recognition for past service but for their ability and willingness to help in the future.

Once the adult is nominated, the lodge may choose not to accept the nominee into the lodge.

Ditto what others said, adults 21+ are NOMINATED by the unit, then selected by the lodge. HOWEVER Adult leaders 18-20 are considered youth in the OA and are elected, and must have been First Class or higher.

Who does the the nominating vary as I've seen it where the CC chooses, and in another place the COR. In one lodge I did elections in, there was a committee that selected the adults to be inducted from all the nominations, and then in another lodge the Chapter Adviser selected whether the nominee was in or not.

I was the CA, and was not informed of this, and wrote very positive letter of recommendation for one nominee whose form was rushed through by the unit. CC just filled out the basic info, sighned it and turned it in, not describing how the nominee could be of benefit. So I wrote the letter endorinsg it and telling about my expereinces with the nominee. Got an email about him a few days later telling me they assume I approve , and that I just needed to sign the form approving. Now there is a committee that selects adults.

My Lodge has a committee that approves adult nominations. We include the Council Camping Chairman, Lodge Adviser, and Lodge Staff Adviser. We recently had an adult nominated that has been a troublemaker for the last year concerning Cub Day Camp and Council. He's not a team player at all. He was denied due to his attitude and the part that says adults are nominated for what they can do for the Order of the Arrow and not as a recognition/award. Even though he was denied and it was communicated to him, he still showed up at registration for the Ordeal. We suspect it was just another opportunity for him to make a scene and bad mouth the Council.

We had one of those. Problem was he DID get in officially. Long story short he complained about everythign the entire weekend. The Arrowmen supervising him got so fed up, they sent him to the LA who put him in a 2 man work crew, an adult member of the lodge and the trouble maker. he was a sash and das as I nerver saw him again.

We have a few OA adult "honorees" here. Everybody knows them because we see them at every Council or District social event with nice shiny sashes but when worktime rolls around they are nowhere to be seen! There are also some that are a bit tough to listen to but they do work hard and are always there. They can also be counted on in a pinch when nobody else steps up. I will always choose an obnoxious loudmouth who puts in the effort than somebody who only wears the sash as an award as if they have achieved a goal. LOL Hawkrod

I know the type, complain when council screws up, but when they are needed to save the day, they are there. Those are the folks that are truly for the scouts, and I'll take a 100 of them any day. You can get something done with them :)

Nolesrule already cleared up the original question succinctly.

Yet, assumptions about the performance of other Arrowman is shotty at best. Not everyone sees every event, they only see what they care to. Scouting involves quite a bit of labor behind the scenes that can be thankless. Not everyone seeks the limelight positions.

Adults especially fall into this category when they become Arrowmen. If serving their unit is their primary responsibility, chances are most people may not see exactly what these people do. My hats are off to those who aid where they can, rather than what gets them publicity.

Perhaps those sashes are shiny and white not because of lack of use, but Oxiclean?

Sometimes that can be true but being OA is not about serving their unit and that is kind of the point of what the last few posts were about. It has nothing to do with limelight, it has to do with carrying yourself appropriately. I agree that there are those that staff training, run Council events behind the scenes and such that serve but are not seen and should be eligible but those are not the ones I am talking about. The ones I am refering to are also referred to as sash and dash. They don't serve AT ALL (it was not a personal shot).(This message has been edited by Hawkrod)

I guess I was a "Sash and Dash" adult leader when I did the OA Ordeal circa 1985. I was a Scoutmaster and continued to keep my nose to the grindstone at that position.

Frankly, I don't recall being solicited for OA activities or meetings, but my memory may be bad, and I probably wouldn't have been able to find the time in any case.

I haven't renewed my membership despite a fine effort to revive the OA chapter at my district. I'm still too busy to find time devote to OA activities.

Frankly, I'm not very happy to see the "sash and dash" term used as a way of dispraraging those entering OA. I was invited and I felt an obligation to set a good example for my Scouts by attending the OA Ordeal. If I had been informed that I was expected to provide additional services before accepting the invitation, I probably would have politely turned it down.

Scoutwers who wear Woodbadge beads are walking advertizements for the Wood Badge Program. People who wear the OA sash are walking advertizements for OA. If you don't want that kind of advertizing, get rid of the advertizement. If you do want it, don't complain about getting it.

Pretty much all volunteer organizations can always use more free labor. It's really bad manners to complain that people don't contribute more time than they do, in my opinion.

The smart move is to thank people for every minute of time they contribute, because people who feel appreciated will probably do more. Those who hear complaints will probably do less or drop out of the group.

Frankly, hearing complaints about "sash and dash" OA members makes it LESS likely that I would reactivate my membership, something I have considered doing. Why should I expose myself to snarky comments when they can be avoided by keeping my money in my pocket?