I can only guess, as each lodge can decide the responsibilities of position.

When I was a youth member, my lodge had a Vigil Chief. I held this position at one time.

What I was responsible for was:

1. Appointing a selection committee, which selected the candidates for vigil honor.

2. Obtaining the approval of the Vigil Advisor, and Scout Executive, to finalize the committee's recommendations.

3. calling out the Vigil Candidates

4. Crafting and presenting the Vigil tokens.

5. Scheduling and staffing Vigil weekend.

6. Conducting the Vigil, and vigil ceremony.

7. Securing the vigil totems.

8. Recognizing the Vigil Honorees at the annual banquet.

This was in 1986, my lodge is long gone, and the OA structure has changed. It would be best to ask your Chief for direction on this.

I've never heard of such a position. All the lodges I know have a vigil committee, with an appointed chair (youth) and adult adviser. They do the tasks that Old_OX_Eagle83 outlined. Since they are really only active a couple of months out of the year, it seems a bit much to have a VC-Vigil.

My son has been asked to serve as a Vigil Vice Chair this year. My son and I both went thru Vigil this last November. It was largely adult run. Our new Lodge Adviser and Lodge Chief are intent on changing that and have the Vigil totally youth run with Advisers fulfilling their role of advising when/if needed. Running the Vigil......just like a Lodge, Chapter, Troop, Crew, etc. is more than a one man job. You need a guy at the top, but he needs people to support him. That is the job of a Vice Chief. Our Vigil Chief is a senior in college this year and my son and the other young man asked to serve as a Vigil Vice Chief are freshmen in college. Since our Vigil is held in November and these guys attend universities out of town, it makes sense to for the Vigil Chief to have help if we are going to keep it youth run.

SR540Beaver - It sounds like your lodge's Vigil Chief is a committee chairman with a nice title, not that there's anything wrong with that. If anyone in your lodge has a problem with the process being youth-run, point them to page 31 of the Guide for Officers and Advisers which spells out pretty clearly how the nominating committee should be set up.

DLister,

A Vigil Chief is a youth selected to be responsible for the Vigil top to bottom from the nomination process thru the actual ceremony. He must call on many adults and youth to make it all happen. We don't have a problem at all with it being youth run. Last year we had a youth Vigil Cheif, but the number of youth willing to step up and assist was less than desired. The Lodge is getting the ball rolling earlier this year to enlist more youth to make all aspects of it as youth run as possible.

"SR540Beaver - It sounds like your lodge's Vigil Chief is a committee chairman with a nice title, not that there's anything wrong with that."

I'd have to agree. What you are calling a "Vigil Chief" or a "Vice Chief for Vigil" most lodges just call the Vigil Committee Chair. Sounds like title inflation.

I don't think it will hurt anything either. I think some of us are just used to appointed youth being called committee chairmen and not chief of something because that's the way our lodges do it. You say hoagie, I say sub... ;)

Titles, shmitles. 'Long as the work gets done ...

In my lodge, the Vigil Chief is the individual who presides over the Vigil ceremony - usually different from the Honors Chairman.

The title of Vice-Chief is reserved for elected lodge and chapter officers. My lodge has three vice-chiefs, with each supervising a number of committee chairmen appointed by the lodge chief. There's a vice-chief for inductions, a vice-chief for service, and a vice-chief for program.