Starting OA Chapters

I am the Lodge Adviser for our Council and we have decided that we want to create Chapters. Our Lodge had Chapters many years ago but for one reason or another they disolved. Since none of our current members were around when we had Chapters we're a little lost on how to get started. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas, suggestions, materials, or anything on how to help us. For a little bit of background both myself and one of my Associate Advisers have completed NLATS. What we've decided, in consultation with my Chief is to create a Vice Chief and Associate Lodge Adviser position for Chapter Development. We will then form a Committee of youth and adults to set the direction and assist the Districts in creating their Chapters......but that's about it. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

It sounds like you're getting on the right track. Just a few questions:

Why chapters, and why now?

Are you looking at geographical limitations? How many members in the lodge?

Use your Section Chief and Advisor for advice. Sometimes they've been in these positions before and can provide some valuable insight.

Well to be honest I wasn't completely in favor of Chapters, at least in the short term. Our Lodge has been struggling with youth participation for a long time. I was just appointed Lodge Adviser in August and youth participation is something I've been working on. My thought was before we can create Chapters we first need to rebuild the Lodge. However, at NLATS my position was changed. My worry was, if we start up Chapters would we be putting the cart before the horse...so to speak. It was pointed out to me that right now, we don't even have a cart. The group I attended NLATS with overwhelmingly supported starting Chapters as a way of reigniting the enthusiasm for the OA in our Districts and then feeding that up to the Lodge. The Chapters would be formed geographically by our Districts which align with the Counties in our Council. For 2010 we finished the year with 394 dues paid members.

Check out some of the archives, as there are topics on getting chapters restarted, getting arrowmen involved, etc.

Can't go into details, but this is what I did to revitalize a chapter.

1) Get more OA visibility. We wear sashes to just about every distict event. Campfire at district camporee, we want arrow men in sashes for that, especially since we use them as "props" for the call out ceremony (we have every arrowman come up and stand behind A.S. calling out the names. Some arrowmen go out and present the candidates to A.S.) We encouraged them wear it as COHs, esp once they get in as a means to recognize them as new arrowmen, and to motivate others.Some folks do not like what we did, but we it has worked.

2) get ceremony, dance, and singing teams organized and have them help promote the OA.

3) Work hard, BUT PLAY HARDER! At least in my neck of the woods, the OA is 99.99% work, and a little play. You need to have some balence.

Breaney,

Welcome to the forums and congrats! I am a Chapter Adviser. Your Lodge sounds smaller than mine. Don't know if that is because you are in a smaller council or the OA has just dropped off that much. That being said, many Lodges struggle with youth involvement. My council services 24 out of 77 counties in the state of Oklahoma. We basically cover the SW quadrant of the state, so that is a lot of territory. In our case, Chapters make a lot of sense as it can take hours to travel from one end of the Council to the other.

Here is how Chapters can serve the Lodge. You give Arrowmen a focus. They can attend monthly Chapter meetings in their District rather than having to travel to another town. They can work with the Troops in their District to get Troops to allow elections and begin implementing the position of Troop OA Rep. A couple of times a year, have the Chapter do something fun open only to the Arrowmen of their Chapter. We do an annual gaming lock-in in December. We are looking at doing a swim or tower climbing day in the summer. Start building Chapter ceremony teams. Again, this allows boys to do something at the local level and not have to travel to other towns. To get the team experienced and ready for OA ceremonies, have them start providing Webelos Arrow of Light or Crossover ceremonies. This gets you even more exposure. Trust me, the Cubs see the team in their regalia and it is just one more reason they want to join Boy Scouts. It also helps to strengthen the bond between Packs and Troops and Troops and the OA. The ability to do elections within your local area is another plus.

You are dividing to conquer. Each Chapter develops their own identity, but togehter they are the Lodge. Why have one Lodge ceremony team when you could have X Chapter teams? Why limit leadership opportunities to just the Lodge youth leadership when you could have X Chapter Chiefs and Vice Chiefs?

If you can find one enthusiastic OA adult and one boy, you have the beginnings of a Chapter. You can magnify your efforts by the number of Chapters. You can grow your Lodge and your youth involvement.

The easiest way to do chapters is to assign a chapter to each district. Then, as the LA, you should send out an invitation to the Arrowmen in each district about meeting at Roundtable. During your meeting, you can explain the positions of Chapter Chief, Chapter Vice-Chief and Troop OA Representative. Make sure the adults are there too, so that you can select a Chapter Advisor

And in response to your timing question:

Sometimes Chapters help lodges thrive because Scouts get more opportunities to function as Arrowmen (in both of my councils the biggest problem was that the LEC meetings were over an hour away). If you keep in email contact with them (or even visit with the LC occasionally) that will be a great way to keep them involved.

The other thing: make sure that you have a representative from each chapter at each Ordeal. This way, your new Ordeal members can see who they will be working with locally.(This message has been edited by Eagle707)

Breaney,

Greetings!

Great advice already! If I may add.

Here are a few question, and opinions I have. Why do Cub Scouts (and families) go to Den meetings? Because there is a personal need and an appealing draw. Why do Boy Scouts (and parents) go to troop meetings? Again, because there is a personal need and an appealing draw.

I think it is the same for Chapter meetings. There should be a need. Sometimes big, sometimes small. Need to earn Brotherhood. Summer camp needs. Need to learn more about Native American culture. And then also the draw. Chapter meetings are where all the cool guys are at. Chapter meetings have pizza, beef jerky and root beer, video games with team development interactive games mixed in as well. Plus along the way, they practice ceremonies, serve the council, and etc.

I expect a Chapter should be seen and nearly function like a troop. They attend because they want to be there, Chapters satisfy some personal needs and the social meetings are appealing.

Also. Drill down thru the OA website to the LLD resources. There are LLD briefs and topics on how to build OA camaraderie and chapters.

Good luck in getting chapter meetings going! I hope the Arrowmen have fun and learn at the same time!

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21_Adv(This message has been edited by Crew21_Adv)