Is anyone else here gi=oing to be at Indian Summer? Does anyone have information about it? I am registereed to go, but information seems to be very scarce. Will there be ceremonial competitions, or are there just evaluations? I am part of my lodge's "First Team" ceremonialists, and will be very dissapointed if there is no competition!

If it's anything like the 2003 Indian Summer, there will be lots of Pow-wow's, but I don't remember there being any ceremonial competitions. The classes were more geared to Native American history/crafts/ect.

Sorry to say, I'm not going this year, I'm signed up with my contingent's week at Summit Corps.

I went in 2003, and it was a good time. Lots of information on American Indian history/lore/craft. Seminars on ceremonies and dance were held as well though.

As with anything, it being the first time for an event, there were kinks and it was a prototype. All in all, it was an excellent time though. If nothing else I completed a breastplate, two chokers, and some other stuff there while there during my down time.

• 2 weeks later...

Platy,

I am hoping to get a few guys from our Lodge or Chapter to go. I have a hand full that want to start ceremonies at the Chapter level, & make their own regalia. No dancers yet. I have a couple band members that are interested in Native drumming. The LA would like to start a drum with singers, and hopefully drum up some interest in dancing. No pun intended. Maybe will meet in Asheville.(This message has been edited by ASM915)

I'm organizing the contingent for Catawba Lodge, and it's my impression that it's going to be mostly training and activities. None of the materials from national mention competition at all.

Personally, I'm glad there's an AIA event that doesn't focus on the competitive nature of ceremony teams. As a long time ceremonialist myself, I see the appeal of competition, but have always felt that the real purpose of any ceremony competition or evaluation is to learn from other teams, and make the experience better for your candidates back home.