Once an OA Member... always a member ? or ??

Vigil

Are you sure because I just saw a credit card like OA Vigil card offered at the OA site I mentioned as well as the embroidered certificate. A friend of mine recently ordered and received that embroidered certificate and card and told me no check was made as far as he knew. Since I'm just a lowly Brotherhood member I wouldn't know about such things, lol.

Are those records still kept after a lodge goes under, and for how long?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BP,

Unlike Ordeal and Brotherhood records, Vigil records are maintained by national. par tof that is b/c national has to approve the Vigil application. And yes national can kick back an application if more info is needed, seen that happen. So they the OATP may be checking form their records. If the OA database is similar to NESA's, it can be easily verified over the phone (had to verify an Eagle through NESA one time).

Off topic - Eagle92, I like the way your wife thinks.

On topic - I think there may be varying degrees of how hard a Lodge is willing to work to identify someone. If somebody walks up with their son and says he was an Ordeal member, that's one thing. To claim to be Vigil is something entirely different.

And claiming to have been involved with a dance team when you weren't is just plain dumb. There's a lot of things there a person should at least remember.

Vicki

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'll find out this weekend. I paid my dues and signed on again after a 20 year lapse and several household moves. This weekend is Fall Fellowship, and I'm going - I'll let you know how welcoming they are. (I'm taking a good copy of my Vigil certificate - from the same lodge in 1977 - just for documentation.)

Woa,

Definately bring a copy, but all the lodges I have been in, 5 to date, have had very good records on received Vigil within the lodge, and some even have the list of Vigils posted online. Wife checked that info out on me when we were dating as my old lodge does post it.

• 3 weeks later...

I reactivated my OA membership as an Adult, after more than 30 years of inactivity, by registering and paying my dues to the local Lodge. I lost my old membership card and could not provide a member number and the only surviving materials I had were my OA Sash and OA pocket flap. I submitted the estimated dates of my OA call-out and my Ordeal as additional evidence but I'm not sure if the Lodge needed it. No problems. The Lodge that I joined was the Lodge of my youth so I'm sure that made the reactivation much easier.

• 3 weeks later...

When I started as a Scouter in 2007, I stood in the scout shop and asked the attendant to help me put together a complete and proper uniform. As we walked about picking out the correct insignia, I noticed the OA flap and asked if I could wear one if I was in OA as a boy. He said sure, I just had to be reinstated. He asked when I was in OA (late 70's was the best answer I could remember) and which lodge (Kiondaga). I paid my $8 (yes, it is now $10) and got my flap. A couple months later my membership card came in the mail.

I'm just an Ordeal member (I had to quit Scouting the following school year and never earned Brotherhood) and I don't know how carefully they checked, but I possess no Scouting material from my time as a youth, so couldn't have provided proof on my own had they asked.

"I don't know how carefully they checked, but I possess no Scouting material from my time as a youth, so couldn't have provided proof on my own had they asked."

A Scout is Trustworthy. One who lies about OA membership knows he's a liar. Good enough for me.