Once an OA Member... always a member ? or ??

I never became an OA member so I don't know the procedures.

If someone was an OA member as a scout some 20 years ago, and is now back in scouting... due to his son becoming a cub scout...

Then could he just join the local OA Lodge ? or must he be somehow request and then have to be approved for membership in the new lodge? Or does one just "transfer" his old membership?

Thanks for your help...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any Scout that is currently registered may register with the local Lodge provided he was a member of the Order during his youth.

There are various ways that he can do this. Provide an old membership card, provide details of his Ordeal to the Lodge Adviser, maybe his old Sash, etc.

First reply wasn't 100% clear. Yes, any former member, whether elected as a youth or selected as an adult, can reactivate his membership with the local lodge provided he is currently registered as a Scouter (you can't just be a parent to a Scout).

As was pointed out, some sort of evidence will be requested as proof. If the old lodge has good record keeping from 20 years ago, they might be able to provide an affirmative letter, but after 20 years it isn't always that easy.

I'd bet that a large number of returning arrowmen's reintroduction went like this. They put on their old lodge flap onto their new uniform. The went up to an OA booth at a Scout-O-Rama or camporee. There was a silverback or patch collector that noticed the old patch. He says, "I see you used to be in Scalawag Lodge." [insert discussion about the good old days] "You should pay your dues and get involved again. Here is the form and it is $10 for dues this year." I'll be surprised if the lodge will ask for proof beyond "On my honor".

Since his membership/dues lapsed, I think the correct term to use (and the proper form to ask for) would be "reinstatement," rather than "transfer." My lodge has a separate reinstatement form which asks for as much information about the circumstances of your induction as you can provide (date, location, lodge, etc.).

If the person has any questions, call the council office and ask to be referred to the lodge adviser (a volunteer) or lodge staff adviser (a professional Scouter who represents the Scout Executive). They'll be able to help you out.

My lodge now wants sometype of proof: membership card, some type of photo or mention in a lodge newsletter, ability to describe your Ordeal in detail, SOMETHING! We had an incident where someon not only tried to say they were an OA member, but a Vigil to boot. not a fun expereince

Eagle92

In most councils its a lot easier than you think, my old lodge has gone on to its happy hunting ground. When I approached the lodge at the council I am in now, during a Univ. of Scouting, the lodge chief saw my old flap and asked me if I would like to join. I was signed up on the spot, paid my dues and got a new flap all within 15 minutes.

Yep we were like that too. Until someone tried to get Vigil stuff from national. It was a mess. I got involved b/c the guy also said he was a dancer and wanted to help the dance team. But he didn't know the first thing about dance.

Eagle92

Interesting point you bring up, on the OA website in the trading post you can buy the embroidered Vigil certificate and Vigil ID card with a simple online form, all you need is a lodge name and number. If someone was that dishonest they could easily obtain these OA Vigil items with no checking being done. It is sad indeed when a person lies his way to an honor/award he never received.

BP,

If memory serves, that is where he tried to get Vigil stuff from. National contacted the lodge adviser about him .

EDITED: National called b/c there was no record of him being a Vigil.(This message has been edited by Eagle92)

OK

How about this scenario, the scout or scouters old lodge is now defunct, gone forever as is the council what do you do then? How can you he prove his claim? Or he has his OA handbook with the page filled in with the dates and places of his ordeal, brotherhood, and vigil ceremonies, is this evidence enough?

Eagle92 I don't think the OA trading post even bothers to check credentials when a scouter orders the Vigil card or certificate so IMHO those items should be restricted, yet they are freely available.

BadenP: Well, since the card isn't offered anymore (I found out because I lost mine with my Eagle cards when I moved and now can't replace the Vigil one), that's at least one issue gone, lol.

Apparently, from what Eagle92 was saying, they do actually check though. I know there is a database at national that has that stuff in it, though record keeping over the years has been at the BSA standards, so it's hard to say how complete those records are.

One nice thing about most of the lodge websites I've seen is a list of Vigil Honor members and Founders' Award recipients, amopng other things. So verifying some things are easy to do. Heck if you lodge has a history section with photos, you may find a pic of your SE as a youth in the lodge ;)

I know when I just started dating my wife many years a ago, she used her librarian skills to verify I was saying who I was. She found out alot aboutmy involvement in the OA,among other scouting related things.