In the wake of a couple impending Broken Arrow Ceremonies, it got me thinking about the way they are done and how the ceremonies are set up. When and where do other lodges hold Broken Arrow ceremonies and what type of regalia do other lodges use?

I'd never heard of it, either. While well-intentioned, it disturbs me slightly that some of the homemade ceremonies out there use the principals in roles outside the actual ceremonies of the Order. That's supposed to be a no-no.

A simple remembrance, without the hoopla of a ceremony, would certainly suffice in my book.

Eale is right about the use outside of the official ceremonies. We have Arrow of Light and Crossover ceremonies written up in case a troop in the Council wants that kind of thing. National has known about it in the past, and there were no issues.(This message has been edited by vigileagle04)

Well, to the Arrowmen present, they will recognize who they are. To those who are not familiar with it, they will see it as a ceremony for something they are not familiar with, but which the other person was a part of.

You can still convey an excellent OA-like message in this manner. AoL and Crossover ceremonies are a bit different, but I've had many comments about how much they enjoyed them, and we get lots of questions. For those, it's awesome, because it sparks that intrigue early on. For the Broken Arrow thing, it's not as much for the audience as it is for the person being remembered.

I had the privilege of attending one of these ceremonies when one of our young arrowman lost his life a few months ago. It was a very well put together ceremony and there were very few dry eyes in the arena. It was something that made the young mans father proud that he was part of such a great organization.

I do not recall if there were any names of those in the ceremony used, but in my opinion it does not really matter. The ceremony paid honor and respects to a young man who gave everything that he could to the OA and had actually just been elected to Section Chief 2 Weeks before.