Founders Award Selection Process

Since there seems to be no set guidelines in how a lodge should go about in selecting, Founders Award Recipients, I would like to hear how other lodges are make the selection.

Currently in our lodge the selection is made at the Fall Ordeal, by the "Founders Committee" which is a committee made up of all past founders who are in attendance at the Ordeal. Usually this is only adult members.

When the Founders Award started in the mid-1980s, my lodge decided that the Lodge Adviser would select the youth recipient and the Lodge Chief would select the adult recipient. It has remained that way. I've been encouraging the Lodge to form an awards committee. This committee would be responsibile for selecting the Vigil Honor, Founders Award, and a couple of ther awards that the Lodge bestows. For some reason the Founders has not been included yet.

In my Lodge the Key 3 typically selects the recipients of the Founders Award.

We are also looking to add an Awards Committee to handle this and a few other Lodge awards that we have, although since the Vigil Honor Selection Committee has some other specific requirements we're keeping it separate.

• 9 months later...

In my lodge we have nominations sent in with all the credibilities what they have done, etc. Then at an LEC we take more nominations from the executive board. Then is anyone that was nominated is in the room they are asked to leave as well as all of the adults. Then there is a discussion about each candidate and a first round of voting. then the top 4 are left and another round of discussion than voting. In order for the award to be given the recipient needs a 2/3 majority vote. After that we discuss to see if there is another worthy candidate. If it is agreed there is then we will vote again. If the first recipient was an adult it has to be a youth but if it was a youth it can be either.

In my lodge, the LEC takes nominations on youth members who will serve on the Founder's Award Committee (which is formed and then disolved when the Founder's Award selection is complted).

The names are left "nominated" for one month and at the next LEC ballots are turned in. The top 5 vote earners are on the committee with the next two as alternates. I believe the Lodge Advisor serves as the committee Advisor for the meeting.

In our lodge, youth only vote in both Vigil nominations and the Founder's Award. The only Adult in the room is the advisor to either committee...who does not have a vote and is basically there for clarification on rules.

In our Lodge, at the Fall Fellowship, the Lodge Advisor forms a committe of youth to determine the adult recipient and a committee of adults to determine the youth recipient.

Each committee is given 4-5 names, but can add others. They then discuss each nominee and select the recipient.