How to still be involved wihile going to college

Your decision to continue participating in scouting while going through college is an EXTREMELY wise one:

(a) The BSA is a great organization, with great local leaders, solid goals and it genuinely benefits the community and the scouts;

(b) Adult scout leaders are cognizant that college work takes time; there are many adult responsibilities, and they can be tailored to your needs;

© College can be a VERY involved, VERY focused lifestyle---your world terminates at the campus boundary, it seems. By taking part in BSA activities, you lead a more real, more normal and even more ADULT life than you otherwise would have---and let me tell you, it can be a real breath of fresh air to be able to walk off the campus and be a real person, treated as an adult,and not as a college kid.

You should also consider joining Alpha Phi Omega, the service fraternity.

I think it was originally started by some Boy Scouts, and it continues to have a heavy emphasis on Scouting, but I don't believe you have to be a current or former Scout to join.

Good luck and Happy New Year!

• 10 months later...

According to the OA handbook, you can be registered as a member of the College Scouter Reserve or as a merit badge counselor. Both are sufficient for the purposes of maintaining OA registration. Generally, you can register as either at 18 years of age though some councils require merit badge counselors to be 21. The position code for "College Scouter Reserve" is 92. I am a current College Scouter so I assure you that it is possible: our council also submitted a template for the CSR to the BSA Innovation Engine so we may have a more usable option soon. Good luck!(This message has been edited by Eagle707)