How to still be involved wihile going to college

Hello Everyone,

Well here is the problem I have ran across. I am currently 20 years old. Next summer I will be moving to a local town to go to college. The college town also happens to be the center of our lodge/council. I will be take pretty tough classes and I know it will be hard to be an Assistant Scoutmaster at a troop up there. I am currently an Assistant Scoutmaster at my local troop and I know how demanding the job can be. I know that this my be a touchy subject but how can I still be involved with my OA lodge but at the sametime not being an Assistant scoutmaster at a troop (ill be 21 when I move to go to the college). Our OA lodge has events on average once per month and a half. So what can i do in the BSA program that wont take up a lot of time but will still allow me to be active in the OA? I know the troop comes first but while going to college that priority will unforchantly have to change.

I know it can be a challenge, been there done that, but in order to be in the OA you must be registered in a unit capacity, either as a venturing member, Asst. Den Leader, Asst. Web. DL, or an ASM. All the other positions require you to be 21. I bet if you talk to the SM and CC, they will allow you to stay on the charter, with the expectations that you do participate when you can, especially over the summer.

Another option: are you part of the summer camp staff, and do they have their own Crew? I know the camps I've worked at had their own crew set up, so that those in situations like yours could remain in scouting while in college, and work summer camp. Most of the staff also happen to be OA members, so that may be an option.

First of all, welcome to the forum!

Second, I know exactly where you're coming from because two decades ago I was in an identical situation. My advice is to locate a Troop that can utilize your talents and abilities with the understanding that you are limited by a college student's schedule. District contacts can be invaluable in this process.

Third, and most important, remember that your main reason for being there is to further your education. Don't let Scouting or anything else distract you from your primary focus.

Best of luck to you and, again, welcome.(This message has been edited by sherminator505)

Once you turn 21, consider volunteering for a district committee position. You might be able to contribute to the camping and activities committee, for example, given your recent experience on the other side of the fence. You could also serve on your troop committee.

I agree with sherminator - your education comes first. I went to college eight hours away from my lodge and troop, and basically dropped out of Scouting for 10 years. There's always time later to get involved again.

you can always return to scouting. I did so after 12 years. Your education is the most important things that you can get. Depending on what you are majoring in there may be a position as a professional or maybe not. If you talk with your SM and the Committee they will understand. You may be able to find summer work as a camp staff member. I know our council has a unit that is specifically for our Camp staff. They are a venturing crew. That may be something you may want to consider.

Vigil, greetings and the advice above is spot on.

Once you head to college, your education is duty number 1.

The desire to stay involved is great, but your education, and the degree, will benefit every aspect of your life, and the lives of others.

You may also face this challenge as your career progresses. As a career military guy, there was a stretch of approx. 15 years where I could not be involved in scouting due to military duties.

The key is to know how much you can handle personally as a volunteer. I'm in awe of the folks that can juggle a career, family, and a dozen challenging projects in scouting. Sorry to say, I'm not one of those folks. I can handle career, family, and 1 or 2 projects, then I'm in over my head.

That said, there is a role in scouting that is just right for each person. Best wishes for all your future endeavors.

im glad you asked this, im turning 18 this upcoming may and will take 1 year off before college to raise some $ for various school experiences then go to college Fall 2011. one thing i worry about is that the school ill be going to in 2011 will be over an hour and a half away from my current troop, im thinking about becoming a venture Scout in the area but im not so sure. ive been with these boys since i was a tiger. another thing i worry about is say when im done with school and move back to my home town it wqill be weird to go back to my troop as a adult leader and not have a kid. like when im 23 or 24 and i just want to go back to my troop as a AS i would feel awkward not having a brother or child in the troop.

can anyone shed light on this ? as a adult would you find it odd some random 24 year old decides he wants to come back to the troop as a adult leader, also in 4 years a lot could change i could go back and not know half the boys still in the troop.

Nick,

I was fortunate in that I stayed home and went to school, so i stayed with the troop I grew up with. I did leave for a job for a total of 3 years, and when I came back, it was interesting in that I knew a few faces, but mostly a new crop of scouts. Also new bunch of leaders as the SM when I left decided to sell his company and move to Hawaii. Grant yo I didn't do much with them, especially since I moved again within 6 months of returning home, but I did go to meetings, and one event. Campouts were a no go as I had to work,otherwise I would have went.

Nothing odd about it, or getting involved in another unit. I know of one unit who had an alum return after college. They were having some challenges, and within 2 years of his return, he was SM. Been there I don't know how long as SM too and he has no sons, only daughters. Also A good friend of mine when he came home one summer went to summer camp for 2 deep leadership as he was the only 21+ y.o. who could stay all week.

I know I was welcomed with open arms with the two troops I joined as a 26 and 27 y.o. (I moved around way to much) Obviously I had no kids in the program at that time. But the units welcomed my KSAs, and one unit vent got my wife on the committee :)

I wouldn't worry about it as others have said school is your number 1 priority. But if possible, do attend any special events the troop may have. Also go on an occasional camp out, especially summer camp, even if only for part of the week.

I always say one of the most underutilized resources the BSA has is its young leaders/ older Venturers as they have the KSAs to guide, mentor, and trian youth and other adults.

Goo luck.

Nick, good questions. It would be very challenging, in my opinion, to stay involved in your old troop while in college...1.5 hr drive is quite a commitment for anyone. It would broaden your scouting experience to join a local unit when you start college. Granted, it's tough to say good bye to the old crew, but you'll learn alot from the new crew and they from you. Plus, you'll have the benefit of meeting people who share your values in your new town...invaluable fellowship that will help you through the ups and downs living in a new place.

As for rejoining your old troop after college...I experienced something like this. As a military brat, we moved alot. Then I joined the military myself and my first permanent station was the base where I had earned Eagle several years previous. And timing being everything, the adult leaders were also former scouts from that same troop, same era. So it wasn't awkward at all. In troops at most military bases, you'll find ASMs who are brand new Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, or Airmen who are former scouts and still want to participate. These scouters are always welcome and they do a great job, in part because they are closer in age to the scouts and the scouts can more readily identify with them. Good role models.

From the current OA handbook, page 56:

College Scouter Reserve. Arrowmen unable to continue active unit service while in college may continue their registration with the Boy Scouts of America by joining the College Scouter Reserve. This will permit them to maintain their membership in an Order of the Arrow lodge. Applications are available through the local council service center.

College Scoutere Reserve may or may not be active still. I knew about it, and when I googled it to see if it still exists, the earliest info comes out from 1996. If it still exists, it's a great program as we had an Eagle Scout in my old troop registered in it.Then again, we may have kept him on the troop charter.

Been there, done that as some others have said. Many of them have great advice.

I was in your situation back in my college days 20 years ago, except my college was out-of-council. I maintained registration with my home unit as they understood that my time would be limited with them (but appreciated when I was available). I also signed on with the unit in my college town, which understood the demands of college and were quite happy to simply have an extra "warm" body on some weekend events, even if that driver simply had to disappear to some quite corner to study while the scouts went off and did whatever it was. For example, the unit was short a vehicle for transporting scouts to the klondike derby. I did that for them, went to the "command post", found someplace to study and spent more quiet time there then I normally could find at the college.

Grad school was further away (2/3rds across the country). I did the same thing there as in undergrad, but I became a bit more involved with the OA than before.

However, in both towns and in all units I was involved it was understood that my course studies came first.

Hey,

Thank you guys for you help. I know that college comes first but i was just looking for a way to still be active in the OA while in college. One thing i really like and would like to know more about is College Scouter Reserve. I'm not quite sure what that is and i would like to know more if anyone has any information about it, is it a council thing or does national actually recognize it. I dont want to spark a whole new debate so ill just as this on this forum, but what would be the proper uniform for someone who is in College Scouter Reserve? Once again thank you for all your ideas.

"One thing i really like and would like to know more about is College Scouter Reserve. I'm not quite sure what that is and i would like to know more if anyone has any information about it, is it a council thing or does national actually recognize it. I dont want to spark a whole new debate so ill just as this on this forum, but what would be the proper uniform for someone who is in College Scouter Reserve?"

CSR still exists.

Its just a means for scouts off to college to keep their registration, but just not with their home unit.

There is nothing about a 'proper uniform' for them AFAIK. Am sure if you wore your scout uniform, that would be fine. I guess one could remove unit numbers and office patches, and leave the rest alone.

Vigil89,

Greetings!

You've received excellent advice. And it is not uncommon for a young 20'ish college student or labor force employee to desire to maintain a minimal tenure with Scouting.

The volunteers and professionals in Scouting can also understand your concerns (as well as the thousands of fresh 18 year old former Boy Scouts each year). Some do have the time to remain with their home troop, while work and education will take some great young adults away for a time.

In addition to the ideas that have been given you, I would personally talk with your DE, the Lodge Registrar, and the Lodge Advisor, to identify an adult position that you can maintain Scouting tenure till you complete your educational goals.

Good Luck!

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv