Are they really getting rid of "Pocket Rockets"

Our lodge used to be a one flap lodge, though in the beginning, there were different pieces. The very first flap had an ordeal piece, a brotherhood piece, and a vigil piece at the top. This was back when the lodge was founded in 1959, and it didn't last all that long. They went to a red bordered lodge flap in 1962 (our flap design has stayed the same ever since), and that was it. For a long time, you received one patch each time you received an honor. So if you were vigil, you would have three. You could purchase traders, which were very different, but it required service hours to be able to do so.

In 1983, the lodge made the change. Ever since we have had one flap for ordeal (white border) one for brotherhood (blue) and one for vigil (red). We also added a fourth one in 2000 for elangomats, it has a green border (and is by far my favorite). Anyway, we've never had too many issues with our system. One thing I don't like is (and this used to be a habit of mine) when you see a Scout or Scouter with a white border flap, asking them when we are going to see them come out and get their brotherhood.

Anyway, I wear one of my green border flaps all the time. No one knows what honor I have, other than that I've been an elangomat. To me, that's one of the greatest services you can perform, and I'm proud to say I've been one. I don't display the Founders Award, or anything like that on my uniform, just the elangomat flap.

Woapalanne: I've worn mine as a lapel pin as well. I usually go with my Eagle tie-tac and an OA lapel pin, either vigil or Founders. I love it as a conversation starter. Great for meeting fellow Scouts/Scouters.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my lodge, we have differant borders, but they do not signify status. Each year, the chapter chiefs and chapter advisors give out bluebordered flaps to youth and adults, respectively, tht have shown outstanding service to the chapter. The lidge chief igves out gold ones to youth and the lodge advisor gives out platinum ones to aults. Most do nit kniw they exist until they have earned them. It is a good way to aknowledge service.

"If I'm at a Scout related event in coat and tie, I usually wear my Eagle Dad tie tac, as that is the one that gives me the most pride. I have about 10 different lapel pins I'm entitled to. Sometimes that selection is just random."

I understand that sentiment.

• 2 weeks later...

If it makes sense to get rid of different border colors on lodge flaps, then it makes sense to get rid of different sashes.

They are the same in every respect: a visual symbol of social status within an organization.

Calling them honors instead of ranks or degrees instead of ranks is meaningless semantics. If you have the different sashes, then allow the different border colors. If the border colors are a problem, then the different sashes are also a problem.

Choose.

BSA,

When my lodge announced the removal of different colored borders per national policy, most of the Arrowman wore their OA sashes inside out so that no Arrow was showing. When the LA got ticked off and gave folks an ultimatum of wearing their sash properly, or taking them off altogether, most took off their sash in protest of thsi national policy.

VE04 said: " One thing I don't like is (and this used to be a habit of mine) when you see a Scout or Scouter with a white border flap, asking them when we are going to see them come out and get their brotherhood."

In the three lodges I have been a member of (3 different states), Vigil was a white or silver border. Your question would get you a really serious "HUH??" >chuckle<

On another note: I'm back in my old original lodge, which has dropped the different color borders. I'm not going to remove my flaps, which all have the Vigil white border. That's an ROF's privilege.

• 2 months later...

The key to why lodge flaps that denote ordeal, brotherhood, or vigil membership not being allowed is a simple one. The OA does not have levels of membership, or ranks, just that simple. One undergoes the Ordeal to become a member; completes the Brotherhood to seal that membership; and me be given the Vigil Honor award for service. We are all members, there are not distinctions, we are a unified whole of brothers in service (that includes you ladies as well). The founders never intended levels of membership, but rather a show of solidarity.

Yes, I have been given the Vigil Honor, and yes I am proud of the award. No, I do not need a special flap, shirt, hat, pin, or patch. It is true that I wear the discreet Vigil honor Pin on my universal arrow, at times, and when in uniform as a arrowman, my sash has a triangle of arrows in its center these do not make me special, or deserving of special privilege, they are reminders of my enhanced obligation. BTW, I do have a sash on display in a scouting memorabilia case, its the dirty, faded, sash I was given at my ordeal thirty years ago, the one my fellow scouts elected me to wear.