ive seen pictures of OA sash's that are black with white arrows. i cant seem to find out what they are for or how you earn them, i would ask my troop OA rep but i am the troop OA rep lol. so how does one earn this or what exactly is this for?

The original sash (1915) was a Black "Band" with a white stripe (not arrow). Black robes were used instead of Native American-style Costumes (I will not call it regalia - unless you are a Native American, you are wearing a costume). It's said the black was meant to blend in with the black robes and the white stripe was the best contrast.

Many conjectured that after 1915, the white stripe became a white arrow. However, no known original exists today, and many who remembered the white stripe on black sash never remembered a white arrow on black sash.

In 1919, we do know that the red arrow on white sash was created. It wasn't until the 1920's that the OA became a national organization - and when it did go national, the white sash/red arrow was the official sash of the Order of the Arrow. It wasn't until 1950 that the red stripes were added to the sash to denote Brotherhood membership. Until that time, Ordeal members wore the sash over their right shoulder, Brotherhood members wore the sash over their left shoulder.

The triangle device for Vigil was created about 1924 and was imposed over the arrow (from about 1934 to 1951, the triangle was larger in width than the sash).

Throughout the history of the National Order of the Arrow, the sash has been white with a red arrow. The black sash was pre-national days. Nevertheless, National issued a commemorative Black Sash for the 75th anniversary as a souvenier for the 1990 NOAC. This sash was not meant to be worn - the sash was much shorter than the average sash, and had no snap clasp. In 1993, a black sash was made for the National Committee by the National Chairman as he stepped down from the post - this sash was wearable, but only 75 were made. For the 2006 NOAC, another black sash was created, and like the 1990 NOAC black sash, it was not made as a wearable sash - being only 38" long (wearable sashes are 60 to 72") and with no snaps.

Any black sashes created now are simply commemorative in nature - one doesn't do anything to earn them. I believe both the 1990 and 2006 black sashes were available through Scout supply - one didn't need to go to NOAC to get one - but you couldn't wear it either.