Vigil Selections Advice Needed

Johnny-

Welcome to the forums!

While our lodge hasn't had a lapse in selecting Vigils as far as I can remember, I can see two ways this could happen. Either:

A. All active members are either already Vigil or not yet eligible (very active and worthy but still in 1st year of Brotherhood)

or

B. Members meet the time requirements but the selection committee doesn't believe they measure up to the high standard of the Vigil Honor.

In case A there isn't really anything that can be done or is controversial, but I can see how case B could ruffle some feathers. This problem comes from when some develop a misconception of the Vigil Honor. They mentally add requirements and compare themselves (or others) point by point with other eligible members. Some sadly just become active so they can "work on getting Vigil." Some even take it a step farther and simply think that if you are relatively active that it is a given that you will receive Vigil after two years of brotherhood.

We had an situation last year in which we had many more qualified individuals than ever before. If we were not limited to 8 as a Lodge I would have had no qualms with bestowing the honor on 15 of these brothers as they were well deserving. However we could not select all of them so some had to be sifted out. We had a few who were dynamic leaders and went above and beyond in their respective capacities (camp staff, council service etc) that were selected that weren't as active in the Lodge and/or their Chapter as some of the other eligible brothers. It was a tough decision to make but the selection committee stood by it. Several adults in the Lodge were rather upset when they heard of this, and there was a lot of "So-and-so doesn't deserve this honor, if this scout receives Vigil it will lower the value of the honor," etc. It went as far as several lengthy meetings between these adults and the Scout Executive, although as chair of the selection committee I was never contacted. Those adults took the stance that "the youth didn't do this correctly, thats why Scout A is receiving Vigil and Scout B is not."

In your case after reviewing all eligible (2 year) Brotherhood members if the committee does not find any who have gone above and beyond in their service to the Lodge, Council, or Council camp, then simply report that there will be no nominations this year. Don't feel pressured by the adults of your lodge to nominate just for the sake of nominating. Eligible Arrowmen should not take offense to not being selected, as the Vigil Honor is not something to be bestowed lightly on just anyone. If one believes themselves to be worthy of the Honor or complains about not being selected is not deserving of it in my opinion.

-Miami_Chief

Let me sat that in the past 25 years, our Lodge has not had year when there were none selected for Vigil.

However, there have been several years where not all of the available slots were filled. Most years we have been alloted 16-20 Vigils. Some years there were 2-4 not filled. One year with 16 spots, there were only 4 - 2 Youth, 2 Adults. The Vigil Selection Committee did not feel that there were more than 2 Youth who were deserving of the Vigil Honor.

Needless to say, when this became known throughout the Lodge, there were many who had questions, concerns, etc. All were told that those selected were the ones the committee felt were the most deserving.

At selection time there was pressure to include more from some, but others stated to the committee that they should do what they thought best.

During the selection process, I have seen some direct influence exerted by some adults. But mostly, it has been more like suggestions, hints, etc. instead of outright directions. Hard to keep some of it out of the meeting.

We've had years that only 1/2 our allotment was chosen.

The last time that happened was due to not receiving a sufficient number of youth nominations.The selection committee chose all but one of them.There were no side effects other than less work for the Vigil set up crew .

It's not always the committee that limits number.I think often people are not submitted to the committee because everyone thought that for sure someone else would nominate them.They can not be selected unless their name is submitted.The forms can be sent in by any registered scout or scouter.