Our districts call out was scheduled for our spring camporee last weekend, but was postponed until this weekend because of weather. One of the troops has a boy that was elected, and attended the camporee, but will not be able to attend the call out this weekend. After doing a bit of searching here, some have said that the call out is not mandatory, but our chapter adviser seems to think it is. Can anyone point me towards where it says it is not mandatory? I am also checking with the chapter adviser to see if he can be called out at another time.

The guide to inductions specifically say, "...it is not mandatory for a candidate to attend a call-out ceremony in order to participate in the Ordeal..." However, they do have to participate in the ordeal, so if the ordeal was rescheduled that is another matter.

Assuming that not to be the case, the lodge should provide another call-out ceremony before the ordeal. In fact, the guide to inductions says, "... lodges and chapters should make every effort to provide call-outs at unit meetings, or at other times, for candidates who cannot attend their scheduled call-out."

That said, I have not heard of the lodge I am in conducting a call-out at a troop meeting. In fact, they require candidates to be at summer camp for the call-out. However, if the SM turns in the paperwork along with all the other candidates forms, I don't think anybody will even notice that he's not there, because the call-out ceremonies are so big. Also, they do an extra call-out ceremony the night before the ordeal.

So, what I am saying is that local chapters and lodges may make up rules that conflict with national rules, but sometimes the SM who knows what's going on and work around these people. You need to talk to other Scoutmasters to know the process of your local lodge and chapter.

We recently had our callout at our District's Webelos Woods. Probably 1/2 of the Troops in our district were not there for various reasons. I expect to see the candidates from those Troops at Ordeal next weekend.

I would visit with Lodge Advisor and clarify the situation with him.