Order of the Arrow Admonition

I want to learn what it is i am a brotherhood member and have never really been able to understand what theu say I have beem to the jumpstart website but i don't have my OA Handbook I lost it soon after i became ordeal. If someone could PM me I would be happy to prove who I am.

Thanks

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best way to learn it is to ask a local fellow Arrowman. Try your chapter chief if you have one, or your Scoutmaster, if he or she is a member. They'll help with both spelling and pronunciation.

If you don't know which chapter you're in, try calling your council office and asking for that information. They may steer you to the lodge staff adviser.

Sox,

With no disrespect, this is a very sensative subject as we had a poser trying to get intot he OA without goign through the Ordeal. First he claimed to be a Vigil member, then a Brotherhood member.

Talk to your Chapter chief, chapter adviser, or lodge folks. They are your best resource.

It is a little known fact that the admonition and all mysteries of the OA are clearly explained within the lyrics of "Louie, Louie" by the Kingsman.

I was inducted in the '90s, and my Elangomat told me it was the Macarena, the jerk! ;)

I don't know if the OA HB is supposed to be a controlled item or not, but I know our Scout Shop sells them over the counter, no questions asked.

Once you have the OA HB, you have what you need to get onto OA Jump Start, where you will eventually find the Admonition. When I went through the Ordeal, someone whispered (more like muttered) something in my ear that was supposed to be the Admonition, and of course I couldn't make out what he said.

So it took me a while to finally learn it, and the OA Jump Start website was a tremendous help.

What fgoodwin said. I went through my ordeal back in '84. The word mumbled to me sounded like the title from a '70's TV show about a family struggling to make a living in rural Virginia during the Great Depression.

I didn't learn the proper way to pronounce/spell the admonition until I borrowed a new handbook at an ordeal work weekend, wrote down the word needed for the jump site and then went to the jump site. My old '84 handbook has an illustration on the page referenced on the website (chuckle).

• 4 months later...

Narraticong i'm kinda confused on how you say its explained in the lyrics of "Louie, Louie" i dont quite see it sorry...but yes Soxrock524 talk to an arrowman either in your troop or at the next chapter meeting or lodge meeting or if you know who your chapter chief is go ahead pretty much if you know any contact of any officer in your lodge you're good.

Yes, Geekster189 is correct - the Jumpstart page does not pronounce it correctly; unfortunately, no one, it seems, has ever bothered to learn the correct Northern Unami pronunciation of the word (the dialect of Lenape / Delaware the OA has borrowed it from ). I would love to see it officially taught correctly; if you're going to borrow from another language, regardless of what that language is, at least learn to pronounce it correctly; I'm not saying you have to have native-speaker pronunciation, but it's sad to see some of the pronunciations given and passed on to new OA members.

I wonder if there is a way to petition the "OA powers that be" to consider officially re-adopting the word and teaching the correct pronunciation?

MikeS - I'm not quite sure what you mean by "re-adopting" the Admonition. Seems to me just changing the pronunciation would do it.

As for a petition, the e-mail addresses for the national officers are listed in the most recent National Bulletin, at oa-bsa.org.

there are several Delaware to English Dictionaries out there that can help.

But here's the caveat with them, if memrory serves those dictionaries are absed upon works done by German immigrants, so they do tend to have a Germanic sound to them.