Regalia Information

Does anyone out there have any information (links, files etc) on making indian regalia. I went to our Conclave this weekend and it was very interesting.

I am trying to get some things to gether so that I can start making my own regalia. Maybe something to have available to use in my own ceremonies for my Cub Scouts.

Any help out there

SctDad,

I have only been active in OA almost a year as an Adult with our local lodge, but I am pretty sure OA limits the "use" of regalia" to youths in OA. Since you came back from conclave I assume you are OA. Acquiring/making items and wearing those items for a Cub event is 2 different things.

If you your lodge is like mine, they do come to Cub events, like AOL in "regalia".

It would be useful to research your local area's "period dress" to enhance a Cub Pack meeting/B&G, but I think I would avoid "regalia" as an adult for your pack.

As for your interest in it, I have used a catalog from "Crazy Crow Trading Post" for reasonably priced items.

http://www.crazycrow.com/(This message has been edited by dg98adams)

DG

When I mentioned the use of regalia in Cub Scouts, I say that so that I can have something that the boys can really enjoy. I know that a lot of people say that the boys will enjoy just about anything, but I think that they would like to see something that is really nice looking.

I also like doing things like this and I would like to start making these things for myself.

As for the OA coming to our AOL ceremonies, we have very few boys that are active in our chapter and it is nearly impossible to get a good turn out. Example, we only had 4 boys show up at our conclave this weekend from our chapter. So getting a good turnout for a ceremony is not always a gaurentee.

I don't know, but I remember a lot more being done when I was a youth.

Sctdad,

You should have be getting a copy of the lodge's AIA cd-rom I made by he end of the week. Gotta burn more copies and I have a busy Scouting schedule this week with oldest, gotta get ready for a trip to Camp Charles :) .

Do you know what style of regalia you want, i.e. Sioux which is the most common, Tuscarora which is local, or do want Dance Regalia ;) I've seen a cermonialist in Straight Dance regalia, minus the bells. The Cubs loved it and they want more of him. Problm was he was an adult who had to fill in for the chapter team because there were 2 othere ceremonies that nite they were doing. Not enough ceremonialists at this time :(

The CD has general info, but if you want spcifics on Tuscarora, who are part of the Iroquois League, let me know as that info is not on

the CD. Toisnot chapter is in the process of getting some made.

If you want to make American Indian clothes, then make them. It's a hobby that is not limited to the Order of the Arrow or any specific age or program. Do your research on which culture you wish to make items and learn to do them tastefully and of a decent quality. The only limitations are that face paint, masks and wigs are not to be used according to BSA/OA guidelines.

My lodge at one time had members attending the ceremonies in Seminole clothing because the ceremonial team wears it and they're the local culture. It's much better than using Timucua clothing that would consists of a few furs, heavy tattooing, and spanish moss breechcloths.(This message has been edited by Tokala)

SctDad,

Have you thought about being a merit badge counselor for Indian Lore?

I have a close friend who is Delaware, and travels across the US and Canada teaching Native Culture. She can put you in contact with supply companies that the rest of us have never heard of, for regalia supplies, and at more reasonable pricing.

She can also put you in contact with Native people in your area that you can use as consultants. If you are interested, PM me.

Also, be careful which Native figures you might promote as prominent Native role model. Do your homework carefully. We had someone create a ceremony around someone who they thought was a prominent chief, and good role model, only to find out that he assassinated Sitting Bull. Not the role model they thought, and wanted.