Hypothetical Situation, for current youth officers only please

nolesrule laid out something on the table in the faith threads, and I think it's worth seeing how you young Arrowmen will deal with it.

Your larger city urban/suburban Council has five Orthodox Jewish Synagogues with Troops under charter. Troop membership in each is about 65 (~330 total rostered). Annually, these Troops throughput about 40 Ordeal Candidates.

They cannot do work from sundown Friday to Sundown Saturday, owing to the Sabbath. They live under Kosher lifestyle: There cannot eat pork.

How does your Council/Lodge accommodate their Ordeal and their Brotherhood?

Hi,

I gave this to my Arrowman son.

He says, "The lodgechief should sit down with the Rabbis from the community and advisors to discuss if and how the order can accomodate Orthodox candidates. Do your best to accomodate them without violating Kosher laws or OA procedures. Ask if there are already procedures for Scouts who are Orthodox for other events such as Camporees."

The pork is really not an issue. The cook staff just needs to be aware so that they either don't plan pork or have an alternative.

The Sabbath causes a few more problems. sheldonsmom's son (Sheldon?) has the right idea. Talk to the people who are knowledgeable in the field and try to come up with a solution. My instant thoughts are, "Who said the Ordeal needs to take place on Saturday?" Yes, it is the most convenient, but if they are unable to work, we need to come up with another option. Perhaps we could run an Ordeal from Saturday evening to Sunday evening. Or offer some weekday Ordeals during the summer.

This is why I asked for current youth officers to write and weigh in.

BTW, Kosher while at its simplest means no pork, really means an entire style of kitchen management, conforming to OT dietary law. While there are many institutional foods which have some Kosher certification on them, there are lots of others which do not.