Translation of Indian words in ceremony

I am trying to figure out the meaning of the Indian words in this Four Winds ceremony:

http://www.raysmyth.net/wtscouts/otenaBook/fourwinds.html

I believe the original source for this ceremony was based on one by Seton in his Book of Woodcraft, but consulting that did not help much.

I believe most of the words are Lakota. Spelling is weird though. Most tribes did not have a written language of their own for most of their history until after Europeans showed up. And I think the words in these ceremonies were written phoneticaly, so looking up words in a Lakota-English dictionary, for example, is problematic.

Thanks in advance.

This comes from a Troop 760 Wiki-dot on the Four Winds Ceremony (http://troop760.wikidot.com/four-winds-ceremony)

Anpetu wi (ahn pay too wee) the Sun

Hau (houw) yes, agree, hello

Mahpiyah Ate (mak pi yah ah tay) Father Sky

HAY-OON-KEE-YA - "Be with us"

HAY-OON-KEE-OON-EE-YA-SNEE - "Come not upon us"

Make Ina (mah kah ee nah) Mother Earth

Meetah kola nayhoon-po omnicheeyay nee-chopi - OMNICIYE (omnicheeyay) is definitely the Lakota word for Council, and Seton says this phrase means "Hear me, my friends, we are about to hold a council."

Mitakuye Oyasin (me ta koo yea oh ya seen) We are all relate

NACHINNAYET OKANDA TEHA - Meaning? (Nachinnayet looks like Nacheneyit which is Lenape for "third"; Okanda is same as Wakonda or "Great Spirit"; and Teha is Lakota for "Late" or is it meant to be Tchen which is Lenape for "times"?)

Noon-way - Amen, or this is our prayer. (according to Seton, but what language?)

Also:

Wakonda (Okanda) - The Great Spirit

Makaeina (Mokianna) - Mother Earth

Mahpiya A'te - Father Sky (in Troop 760's 4-Winds ceremony but missing from Otena's)

Weeyo-Peata (Weeyaeenyapapyta) - West Wind

Wazi-Yata (Wusiota) - North Wind

Weeyo-hinyan-pata (Weyapayta) - East Wind

Okaga - South Wind

My short bit of research leads me to believe that the "Four Winds Ceremony" was mostly created out of the writings of Ernest Thompson Seaton and a few other "native lore" people. With all due respect to the history of the Boy Scouts, old Ernie was the early 20th century equivalent to the late 20th century "New Ager's/Crystal/Harmonics" folks that the majority of us roll our eyes at (Shirley McClaine would be the spiritual descendent of Thompson).

It seems pretty clear that the "Four Winds Ceremony" was written by white people who either used snippets of Souix (and possibly other people's) words to create new ones that they thought sounded authentic or were badly spelling words phonetically - I suspect a combination of both.

Note especially NACHINNAYET OKANDA TEHA. It appears this might be a combination of Souix and Delaware languages.

I'd say enjoy the ceremony but be ready to explain to the lads it isn't authentic - it's just made up by white guys - like the Chief Illiniwek dance at the University of Illinois - and has as much to do with Native Americans and Native Traditions as Christmas Trees do with Channukah.

• 2 weeks later...

hmmmm...try as hard as I could, I see not an iota of eastern woodland algonquin. So, no Lenape.

Two words did stand out....wakonda which is from the Otoe language called Chiwere. I suspect the correct translation would be "red sun". Not North Wind.

And Okaga (South Wind), which really bewilders me since it's a Japanese word (maybe from the phrase "okaga samade", meaning "fine, thank you; or else, borrowed from the Itcorucika myth.

Remember, just as native Americans had no alphabet, neither did they use cardinal directions as Europeans, or Anglo Americans. I'll have to agree with Calico Penn, it's got "made up" writ large.(This message has been edited by Le Voyageur)

Yes, I created that wiki page. Aren't search engines wonderful? I didn't suspect I would be quoted to answer my own question. Probably should've picked a more anonymous username. Oh, well.

As somebody pointed out, it is a bit difficult to separate the genuine thing from the European distortions and the new agers. There are tons of books written by what Natives refer to as Plastic Medicine Men.

As for Seton, he was a very talented person to whom the BSA owes a lot, but he would have had to change things and make up stuff in his attempt to make the Indian way of life more understandable to white kids.

Most of the words appear to be Lakota. Oddly, though, they are phonetical spellings and not how a Lakota would spell them.

East: WIYOHIYA PATA

North: WAZIYATA

South: ITOKAGATA

West: WIYOHPE YATA

Earth: MAKA

One glaring "error" is Wakanda/Wakonda because that's a southern plains word. The Lakota great spirit is Wakantanka.

Tokala, Thank you for your input. Are you a native Lakota speaker?

How about these phrases that apparently come from Seton...

HAY-OON-KEE-YA - "Be with us"

HAY-OON-KEE-OON-EE-YA-SNEE - "Come not upon us"

Obviously, phonetic spelling.

Thanks again.

Scouter760, glad to be of some help. I am not a native speaker of lakota. I spent many years singing lakota songs and advising my lodge's sing team. We stressed that it was just as important to learn the words and translations as it was to learn the song. We had some younger lakotas from Pine Ridge that visited occasionally and worked with us. Once you learn the basics, it's not too difficult. Seeing the words spelled out phonetically makes it more difficult to figure out the words. I'll do some more research and see if I can't get close on the two you mentioned. Some of the basic parts of those words seem to be:

"heya" which is basic "was said".

"unki" which I haven't been able to remember. (oon-kee)

"sni" which is "no" or a negative. (snee) This is actually pronounced "sh nee".