OA qualification requirements

Xtreme,

here's the challenge, While 18-20 yos can serve in adult leadership positions in both cub scouts and boy scouts, they are limited to an assistant's role, i.e Assistant TC den leader, ASM, etc. They cannot be in the primary leadership role. Nor can they serve on any committees.

Yep 18-20 is the gray area of scouting. As someone once said about being Eighteen "Im a boy and Im a man."

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Xtreme,

I don't know who you are; I don't know what you do for your unit and your Council.

I do know several young women, in fact some under 18. They are members in EagleSons' Venturing Crew. Many of them, during the summer, serve on staff at one of our Scout Reservations. They bust their butts for not a lot of money a week. In session, they are on the go from 7AM day 1 until 6PM day 2, then have a night to themselves, and repeat (this is a Council operated/staffed Family Camping Experience as defined by G2SS and National Camp Standards).

They do a lot more for the ethic of Cheerful Service than 75% of the young men I see who take the Ordeal, maybe the Brotherhood, and then disappear.

Do they (and perhaps you) show the ethic we want in the Arrow? YES.

Is National Commitee on the Order of the Arrow, the Professionals in Irving, the Advisers (I'm told a law unto themselves), and the youth leadership going to do something about it? I wouldn't bet on it in your lifetime.

Should they? YES.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :( but that's reality as I see it.

• 2 years later...

We are having OA election tomorrow night,so need answer ASAP We have a 2nd class scout that needs swimming component to become 1st class. Some parents were told that he can be nominated for Ordeal AS LONG AS HE IS 1ST CLASS BY THE ORDEAL CEREMONY.I say he cannot even be nominated because he is not first class.Please respond so we can have problem settled by Thurs. night.

Webdog,

You are correct, the Second Class Scout is ineligible for election at this time.

I will not post the direct link to the Guide to Inductions, just in case that is a way around the password protection. But here is the general link to the offical BSA source

http://www.oa-bsa.org/resources/pubs/gti/

Appendix 1 in the Guide to Inductions, the sample Letter Announcing Unit Elections, states under

YOUTH MEMBERSHIP REQUIREMENTS

1 A Boy Scout or Varsity Scout who holds the First Class rank, is under the age of 21, and is registered as an active member of the troop or team may, with the approval of his unit leader, be nominated for election (emphasis mine on both accounts) Prior to the annual election, the unit leader must certify the nominee's Scout spirit, and youth membership qualifications.

It's semantics but around here the council clearly states that there is not gender requirement for OA. Literally, that is true. However, for a youth, one must earn 1st Class and currently, that is very difficult for females to do.

While a female can be an adult leader in a troop at 18, for OA purposes she would be considered a youth, and hence ineligible, since she hasn't earned First Class. BUT she can vote in the election

every active member of the unit under age 21 at the time of election is eligible to vote in an Order of the Arrow election. (page 2-1 of the Guide to Inductions).

(This message has been edited by Eagle92)

No, BadenP, I don't think you caught the nuance. There is no restriction, directly, excluding female youths from joining OA.

If they meet the requirements - 1st Class, camping & Scoutmaster approval and election - they may join. The devil is always in the details and yes, it is very difficult for females to earn 1st Class. :)

Which leads us right back to my reply of January 2009.

We have young women serving our Council Scout Reservations during the season. These women do more for the ethic of Cheerful Service than 75% of the Boy Scout youth members. These young women are foreclosed from membership in our Order.

They are not many (maybe 1,000 Nationwide), but they deserve far better.

College Scouter is a council position that is administered at the district level. By the same token, though, merit badge counselor is a district level position. I'm just mentioning it as a registration position: districts can nominate Scouters to the OA too.

KC John, just to push buttons, now you know how some folks feel about certain young males that provide cheerful service, have excellent scout skills, are helpful, courteous, brave, clean, etc. but just happen to be gay and wonder why they too can't be the allowed "in" so to speak.

I know that if one of these fine young women would like to join the OA and were told well, just go start your own organization or some other blather I wouldn't like that response and I'm assuming you wouldn't either.

On a different note, will Pujols become a Royal?

Under the current National leadership and mindset, I think girls would be allowed in before gays. There's the whole "morally straight" argument against homosexuality - but nothing that folks can point to in the Oath and Law that's incompatible with being female. ;)

Morally straight has nothing to do with sexuality. Sort of like a Cub Scout - I promise to be "square." It didn't mean I had to be uncool!

The problem with the "gay" issue is that it is a self fulfilling prophecy to those who feel being gay is not moral.

As for myself, I can't quite understand how "being" anything could be immoral. Now, acting in a certain way could be considered immoral but being gay?