Double dipping 10 mile for hiking and backpacking

Our troop has instituted a no double dipping policy for merit badges. We finished a Philmont trek this August and I was inquiring about utilizing the 10 mile portion for my sons hiking merit badge qualification. He did four 10 mile and one 20 mile hike in prep for Philmont. The final day of Philmont was an 11 mile switch back death march (at least for me).

I was told these were used for the backpacking merit badge only or he could drop them from backpacking and use them toward hiking but not both.

Any thoughts?

Yep, that's written in the merit badge requirements that your son read himself and no doubt discussed with his merit badge counselor when he made an appointment to start work on the badge.

It's not a quest to get badges, eh? It's a quest to grow and develop and learn and become a young man with outdoor skills and character. Skills take practice, and we can always use practice. Character takes time in the field working with others in a variety of circumstances.

Your troop has the right of it. Don't deprive your son of the value of scoutin' in a quest for the trappings of scouting.

Beavah

No you can not use the same hikes for both Hiking and Backpacking and yes it is written.

Hiking MB requirements has the following footnote: *The hikes in requirements 5 and 6 can be used in fulfilling Second Class Rank (2a) and First Class Rank (3) rank requirements, but only if Hiking merit badge requirements 1, 2, 3, and 4 have been completed to the satisfaction of your counselor. The hikes of requirements 5 and 6 cannot be used to fulfill requirements of other merit badges.

It is always a good idea to get a copy of MB requirements prior to starting working on them. If you also look at req #7 a short report needs to be written for each hike taken. It would have been easier to write the report just after taking the hikes not months later.

gilski,

The Hiking MB hikes are five 10 milers and a 20 miler. The Backpacking MB treks are three 15 milers over three days, and a 30 miler over five days.

Now depending on how many miles you hiked at Philmont, you all should have been real close to getting your 50 Miler. If you had 15 nights on the trail, they should have completed the Backpacking MB.

After Philmont, what's an easy 10 miler?