OA Sash at Court of Honor

BrotherhoodWWW:

"Threefold.." Well, yeah, that's the O/A organizational purpose but we were talking about any old O/Aer wearing his/her sash at (specifically) any old CoH. And like always, all one can do is point the finger and say "see? it says right here in greytone and white what one should do. " Leaves it to the individual as to what he/she will do.

If one is doing an O/A thing(service, explanation, tapout, election, exhibit manning, etc.) then wear the sash with pride and elan. If just attending, then leave it clean and neat in your bureau drawer.

Sasha Cohen, Sasha the bird (peter and the wolf), sash and mullions...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well as i stated before, teh handbook at one time did specify COHs. And as someone else had stated the terminology used currently also has that comma in the, which can mean lots of things. Further the sash can be worn in the dress uniform of coat and tie. Now if it could one time be worn at COHs, can be worn with the dress uniform, which is usually seen at banquest and COHs, and the terminology has a comma in it stating

As I stated previously if the youth want to wear the OA sash, fine, but I'ld encourage him to wear the MB sash at it's more personal. Now adults, I encourage them to wear it.

There is also another reason why I encourage the OA sash at special events, mostly related to the status my chapter was in, and that is for visibility. For whatever reason few parents, youth, and new leaders new anything about the OA in my neck of the woods. Heck I had one parent rudely "interrogate " me about the OA, and then ask if the Sm new anything about the OA. Funny thing is the SM was a former section officer and Vigil Honor member, yet no one in his troop knew that. Since taking over as Chapter Adviser and encouraging members to wear the sash at special events like Blue and Golds, COHs, and the fall camporee campfire (we do call outs at that time) people are starting to get more interested in the OA. heck we had 32 candidates called out this year (3 times as many the previous year), and one of the guys I taught Swimming MB to told his First Class BOR that the reason he wanted first class was to get into the OA.

Anyway I'll be wearing the sash monday nite at a pack meeting since they asked the chapter to do a AOL/Crossover ceremony ;)

• 1 month later...

In my Council I found out that the Scout Executive had authorized the wearing of the sash at other times than spelled out in the handbook. When I met him at a camporee I asked him myself for clarification and he told me I could wear it at Courts of Honor, closing campfires, parades, or whenever I felt it was appropriate. So, you might want to do the same. As other people have said, it is not always black and white. Most rules have loopholes, and this one has a big one.

Our Scout Executive has done the same and I think it's a great idea. More people will see the sash and ask about it. A perfect opportunity to make our lodge better known. Remember, there should be "mystery", but it should not be a secret.

Our troop will be receiving three new boys at a Blue and Gold Sunday. I'll surely wear my sash.

• 1 month later...

When I first saw this thread, I was looking at the national OA booklet that says "no' to wearing it at the court of honor. But then I was rereading the pamphlet that we got from our lodge after our ordeal. It specifically says okay to wearing it at a coh. so I guess that falls under "other times as approved by the council executive". After all, he (or she) is supreme chief of the fire.

Not to bust the mystic quality of the sash. But as a service organization, I find it most useful when I see it warn on the boys (and adults), directing traffic into the parking lots for our camporees.

We had some Webelos visit our troop the other night. The Den Leader asked me about Order of the Arrow. Seems among Cub Leaders there was the idea of some connection with Arrow of Light. I spent 10 minutes telling her about our great service organization. She was very impressed that Scouts has an Honor Society and that the result being given this honor is that we willingly work our butts off!

There is mystery to our order, but we need to balance that with enough visibility to encourage Scouts, leaders, and parent sto ask questions.

If it were up to me, I'd make it OK to wear your sash any time you are in uniform and also to wear it on your belt. It's not at all about bragging. It's about encouraging boys to want to be one of us.

NRP- I don't know why we disagree on wearing our sash on the belt. Please note that I did not say that I currently wear it there, because I do not. But if the youth were to change the rules to allow it, or my Scout Executive approve it, I sure would.

John and I both come from the same era. I proudly wore my sash on my belt back in 1972.

Our Supreme Chief of the Fire has approved wearing our sashes at just about all Scout functions. But it is a bit awkward. I think it would be easy to identify Arrowmen with our sash on our belts.

Don't want to cause a fuss. I just don't care for the way it looks. It's like English Ivy growing up the side of a house. Some people love it but I don't as it causes the mortar to deteriorate. Let's just call it personal preference and agree to disagree.

Didn't mean to sound disagreeable about our disagreement! I don't like ivy either. So, we aren't disagreeing so much as we are expressing a preference.

While I tend to follow the insignia guide, it's not really a big deal for me. There are many things in modern Scouting which I feel are really against our goals. But that would be a horse of a different color...(This message has been edited by narraticong)

My sense is that long-time Scouters know exactly how to wear the uniform correctly.

Those who choose not to are looking for justification or simply rationalizing their behavior, which is the only reason why these questions continue to crop up. As for me, I will follow the Insignia Guide. No OA sash for me at COHs and never over the belt.

What you do is up to you, but you can't say you were ignorant of the rules.