Birthplace of the Order of the Arrow closed

I think Dr Goodman would be turning in his grave if Cradle of Liberty Council kept dumping more money in to this camp. I am from the old Philadelphia council and spent many nights on TI. (when it was open)Even spent a few weekends on the northern island once called Eagle Island (I think that was the old explorer base). Do you really know how much money this council has thrown at TI? I think the good doctor would rather see that money used at the council's other camps where it could be used to make a better camping for more scouts. Any good scouter hates to see a scout camp go away. Especially a camp with the history of TI. Anymore though the flood waters would come more often and take away and damage more and more of the camp. I mean they might as well stand at the banks of the Delaware and just throw cash right into the water. It's either that or come up with the technology to put the island on stilts and keep it above the flood waters. Sorry to see the old camp go, but it is better for the council and the scouts the council serves for it to go.

I have to echo what Eagle77 said.

This is something that was discussed on Arrow-L last month.

While its sad that a camp is closed, it is understandable in this situation, due to the high costs of maintaining the camp in a flood area. Its not like some cases where the camp is being sold off for money or the like.

I would hope that the property is preserved in some manner, which could preserve its historical significance, even if it can't be used as an active scout camp (either summer or weekend).

• 2 weeks later...