Got "Tapped Out" in 1963, had a bad accident and couldn't make to the weekend ordeal that year. Other disappointing circumstances prevented pursuing completion years after. Now pushing 59 yrs of age, still have the desire to complete this honor. Can anyone shed light on what this ole goat needs to do since I still have scouting in my heart.

Erniepyle,

Your youth election obviously is no longer valid. You will have to seek membership as an adult. To do that, you have to be a registered adult Scout leader in a Boy Scout "Troop." I will be corrected of course, but being an adult leader in a Pack won't work. You can also be a District or Council adult member as well. I'm not sure about Venture Crew adult leaders. Anyway, the deal is that your fellow adult leaders can "select" you as an adult candidate, with approval form the Lodge. But you can only select one adult per Troop per year (bigger troops can select two, etc..), if there was an associated youth OA Election. No youth election due to no qualified Scouts, no adult selection that year.

I'm sure others will expand on what I've said. I'm glad you still have Scouting in your heart.

sst3rd

If you did not go through your ordeal as a youth you must be chosen again. This is taken from nationals site. Hope it helps you.

In general, the adult qualifications are different from the youth requirements. Adult selection is based upon their ability to perform the necessary functions to help the Order fulfill its purpose, and is not for recognition as an honor. Selected adult Scouters must be an asset to the Order because of demonstrated abilities, and must provide a positive role model for the youth members of the lodge. Read the section of the guide mentioned above for details.

(This message has been edited by talen333)

Talk to the SM or CC of your Troop. With allowing only one adult nomination per year, it can be a tough choice as to who gets that one nomination. They may already have one or two people in mind for the upcoming year. Its a tough decision, we struggle with it annually.

Please note I said nomination. There is a committee within the lodge that selects the adults to be tapped out from the list of nominees. Each lodge handles this differently - it may be a rubber stamp to all nominees or they only select a number of the best nominees.

Not sure if this is a National rule, but in our Lodge, you must complete your Ordeal within one year of selection, or you start over (selection is null and void). That goes for both youth and adults. You can complete your Ordeal in a different Lodge, with permission of the Lodge Chiefs.

You didn't say if you are a current BSA member, but #1 prerequisite is to be a registered member of a Scout unit, or District/Council level Scouter.

Good Luck and welcome to the Forums!

"Not sure if this is a National rule, but in our Lodge, you must complete your Ordeal within one year of selection, or you start over (selection is null and void). That goes for both youth and adults."

That's National policy.

This is why most Lodges (if they're smart) will have 2-3 Ordeals to handle people that, for whatever reason, miss their Ordeal.

"You can complete your Ordeal in a different Lodge, with permission of the Lodge Chiefs."

Uh, no you can't. There have been items on the National OA site about this. Not sure the full rule, but except for some very extreme situations, it's not allowed.

"You can complete your Ordeal in a different Lodge, with permission of the Lodge Chiefs."

As I previously noted, you can't do this.

I checked the National OA website. This point was made clear in Operations Update 05-5 (May of 2005): http://www.oa-bsa.org/annc/opup/opup-05-5.pdf

"Out of council Ordeals are not permitted." No exceptions are given.

This Operations Update makes it clear that troop elections, OA call outs, Ordeals, and Brotherhood ceremonies MUST be conducted by the unit's home lodge. The only exception to any of these is for call-outs, following what the OU states.

We discussed this here not long ago, there is at least one exception and that is for religious grounds. The Jewish boys around here go to New York for their Ordeal because they have a Kosher ordeal that doesn't interfere with Shabbat.

That's going to adversely affect a lot of folks in my council. We are a military community and frequently, a scout will be called out and then dad (or mom) gets transferred. We have always told them they can complete their Ordeal in their new Council. Seems a bit unreasonable to me.

"As always, BSA has a real hard time writing what they really mean. After all, the phrase "no exceptions" is pretty clear. "

I was the one who used the phrase "no exceptions".

If you read the document I cited, you will see that while the phrase isn't used, no exceptions are given. No for moving, not for religious reasons. No mechanism is given for grating exceptions.

The main point of the issue is to address the units who don't attend their council camp, so want to do tap-outs &/or ordeals with another lodge. The other issues of religious reasons, etc, which I think are a different case, aren't covered by the policy.