New Challenge Encountered

"What is the Brotherhood Hike?"

Its an optional part of the Brotherhood Ceremony, in which those who are going to go thru the ceremony are taken on a short hike on the way to the ceremony ring, and the person leading them stops along the way to impart of some inspiring thoughts, or the like.

I believe its fully covered in the literature.

Its part of the extended elongamat program, I believe.

Yes the 1999 version shows on the national website.

The concept is similar to Elangomat, it's called Nemat. The premises are:

1) Nemats work with Ordeal members during a service day to the Lodge, living the ethic of cheerful service.

2) Nemats ensure the Ordeal member has prepared his letter to the Secretary of the Lodge.

3) Nemats share and discuss the information imparted during the Ordeal. No, this is not the "Brotherhood Interview." There is no pass or fail, it's a guided conversation.

4) Nemats do ensure Ordeal members remeber the Obligation, the signs, and the OA Song.

5) The Brotherhood or Nemat hike is a guided reflection. The Ordeal members will be challenged to discuss, at several points, the concepts of our Order and what they can do in the future.

6) In my Lodge, the hike ends on the trail to our ceremony ring, where Kichkinet organizes them for the ceremony itself.

HTH. ICS.(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

Eagle92 - I like the callout ceremony idea to involve more Arrowmen and show their strength and numbers.

Is there any follow-through after the callout (do the "sponsors" help guide their candidates to prepare for the Ordeal, are they elangomats, etc.), or is it just a ceremonial thing?

If the former, I'd be very careful about symbolic progression.

There is supposed to be some follow through, although that didn't happen in all cases. Basically we ask the "sponsor," and I use that in a loose term, to invite them to our January meeting which is a candidate orientation/ chapter social. Also we ask them to encourage them to attend the Ordeal.

We did have the orientation just prior to the March Ordeal, but had complaints becasue the call outs were in November, now october, and they did not here fromt he OA again until March. So we send out a letter after the Call Out, invite them in January, and send out info about the Ordeal in February.

The real purposes of having Arrowmen get candidates were twofold.

1)To make sure we did not accidentily forget any candidates as had happened in the past. This was a result of last minute ceremony team changes and also last minute elections. By having sponsors get the candidates and present them to "Chief of the Fire," no one is left out.

2) To show everyone attending the district camporee who has undergone the Ordeal. Yep we recognize everyone, active and inactive by having everyone form a backdrop behind the ceremony team. This shows who is/has been active, who parents and scouts can go to for some questions, and is an attemp to get folks back involved. Already got 2 inactive members to do something.