Innovative, lasting service projects

I'm wondering if we can start a brainstorming thread, tossing out ideas and examples of camp service projects that have lasting value, beyond standard repair work.

I'll start, in no particular order.

* Trail marking, mapping and maintenance

* Building new boat racks

* Installing new fencing

* Building new storage shed for woods tools

* Designing and constructing main gate/archway for camp

* Creating new signs for summer camp program areas

How about campsite restoration.

Some campsites are camped on pretty hard year after year with the flys and tents always being put in the same place. The ground can get pretty hard and the flora and fauna don't like it either. I know some camps close campsites at times but for the most part they still show signs of hard usage that a year off the rolls cannot always undue what man or scout has done.

KEn

My project was repairing a 1/2 mile nature trail for a county park. The project involved relining the trail with rock, replacing trail marker signs that corresponds to the info flyer for the self guided tour, creating several of the exhibits on the trail, etc. The project took almost 200 man hours and involved two troops and two packs of helping hands.

A friends eagle project was installing outhouses in a city park.

Just two more ideas for the list...

Scott Robertson

http://insanescouter.org

Helping leaders one resource at a time....

At several camps in our state, the rebuilding of the campfire ampletheater (sp?) has been a project of the OA lodges.

This usually included stuff like:

* rebuilding the stage area

* rebuilding the seats/seating area

* rebuilding/building a soundbooth and a/v system, including speakers, lighting, etc

Other camp property projects:

* rebuilding, repainting, repairing camp cabins (if you have them)

* rebuilding, repainting, repairing latrines/bathhouse/showers

* regrading trails/roads (fill in pot holes, level out, etc)

OK I have just a few comments about the things at the camp you are refering to

* rebuilding the stage area (isn't this the area around the campfire)

* rebuilding the seats/seating area (Ok I did this one when I went through, no other comments)

* rebuilding/building a soundbooth and a/v system, including speakers, lighting, etc" A/V system??? Sound Booth??? Speakers??? Why??? we just need to speak up and be heard. I can understand the lights, maybe if we used just a minimal amount for the campfire. I guess I am of the old scouting (Not as old as others) where you carried a flashlight or walked in the dark on the trails. I dunno. I guess there are some things that I think do not belong at scout camp.

"OK I have just a few comments about the things at the camp you are refering to."

Actually, I'm not referring to one camp. What I say here applies to several camps here in Florida.

"* rebuilding the stage area (isn't this the area around the campfire)"

Yesss, but you need a stage area for people to get up and sing, present, do skits, etc. Its usually a raised area with grass.

"* rebuilding the seats/seating area (Ok I did this one when I went through, no other comments)

* rebuilding/building a soundbooth and a/v system, including speakers, lighting, etc" A/V system??? Sound Booth??? Speakers??? Why??? we just need to speak up and be heard. I can understand the lights, maybe if we used just a minimal amount for the campfire. I guess I am of the old scouting (Not as old as others) where you carried a flashlight or walked in the dark on the trails. I dunno. I guess there are some things that I think do not belong at scout camp. "

Excuse me, but I am not speaking of a small camp fire ring that can handle about 100 people or so. You're comments would apply to that.

I am speaking of a scout camp amphitheather that can sit around 1000+ people. So you can just 'speak up' with that many people, you need an audio system. And you may want to show movies (need a screen, or something you can set up a screen, and place for the projector, etc. And as you get a lot of people who can't walk too well (grandparents, handicapped scouters, donors to the council, etc), so you need to make it safe and provide lighting, etc.

(FWIW, many of our camps have both)

If you think this sort of thing 'doesn't belong in scout camp', so be it, but we've had these as a kind of standard part of many many scout camps for a couple of decades or so.

Sorry about that. I am not used to seeing campfire ampitheaters that big. I guess i could see your point of the sound system.

The lights I can see for before and after the show. so that everyone can safely get to their seats.

I stand corrected, (At the back of the campfire ampitheater)

I guess I am at a slight disadvantage only going to smaller Camps

YiS

SctDad

SctDad, you and me both. I've never heard of such a thing at a scout camp. Then again, we're blessed up here in the Maine wilderness as our council rings are set in natural kettle-hole formations, so that as long as you speak-up, the 300 or so scouts/leaders will hear you. We do have lights for safety reasons, but rarely use'em.

As for project ideas, some our lodge have done have been mentioned before, like rebuilding the council ring and seating.

However, the lodge also rebuilt the waterfront at one of the camps in 1999. This was no small project. The camp sits on a steep bank above the lake and after roughly 70 years of use, the waterfront area was eroding badly. Working within state regulations in regards to shore front property and the help of a lodge member who was a retired engineer, the lodge was able to shore-up the bank by building a retaining wall and put in ramps/stairs to prevent further erosion. That engineer has since passed away and the waterfront has been rededicated in his name/memory.

My local lodge has done projects at camp such as:

Build a control tower for the council ring lights & audio.

Built a basketball court

Built a volleyball court

Built 15 2-man cabins for the summer camp staff housing

Built smokers at each camp near the kitchen

The innovative and lasting projects are few and spread out. They usually take more planning and funds so we don't necessarily even accomplish 1 per year. Section Conference (everyone else calls them Conclaves) are hosted differently in Florida. The host lodge plans, prepares and administers the entire Conference. Preparing for 1000+ Arrowmen for a weekend usually has the lodge more active in preparing the camp facilities. The innovative, meaningful projects usually happen in the 12-18 months of planning before hosting a Section Conference.

Moxieman

Sounds like you and went to the same camp. My ordeal was done at Camp Hinds at the beginning of Summer Camp '94. We built some new seats in the campfire ring there. I guess if we are talking about the same summer camp them our pressure treated wood did not hold up all that well. I also spent many days in the tower at the waterfront. I can see where you would be talking about the waterfront being on a slope and needing the retaining wall. I worked there as a staff member that year. CIT. Is this the camp that you are talking about. Drop me a PM some time.

I guess I would have to say that all of the projects that we go through and complete as ordeal members do not last as long as we hope. But we can only hope that our work lasts long enough for the scouts and leaders to enjoy it.

PS Does the boat area still have that huge bell???(This message has been edited by SctDad)