Thank you Vets and current troops

Thank you to all who have ever served the United States of America in the armed forces. Thank you to all who remember that Monday is the day we remember those who have fallen, each in our own way.

I plan to spend a significant portion of Monday calling the veterans I have phone numbers for and thanking them personally.

To the veterans who read this (I don't have your phone number,) but please accept the thanks of myself, my wife, and my family.

Yours truly,

Dave Steele

Well, my circle of friends just decreased by one. I've just been notified that a friend and former co-worker of mine was killed in Iraq on May 19th. An Army officer with a wonderful personality (no, they're not mutually exclusive), and a dedicated family man, he made going up to Seoul a real pleasure...and when you're in the antiterrorism business like we both were and I still am, there isn't much pleasure to be had.

This is no easier now than it was the first time 26 years ago. Please remember Dominic "Rocky" Baragona and his family in your thoughts and prayers -- and please don't take for granted the special people in your lives; they can be gone so suddenly.

thanks,

KS

:(

Day is done, gone the sun,

>From the hills, from the lake,

>From the sky.

All is well, safely rest,

God is nigh.

Go to sleep, peaceful sleep,

May the soldier or sailor,

God keep.

On the land or the deep,

Safe in sleep.

Love, good night, Must thou go,

When the day, And the night

Need thee so?

All is well. Speedeth all

To their rest.

Fades the light; And afar

Goeth day, And the stars

Shineth bright,

Fare thee well; Day has gone,

Night is on.

Thanks and praise, For our days,

'Neath the sun, Neath the stars,

'Neath the sky,

As we go, This we know,

God is nigh

God Bless the USA

KoreaScouter:

I'm so sorry for your loss and the family's loss. I truly wish us civilians could do something meaningful to those who pass in the name of freedom.

I spent several hours this afternoon calling veterans and thanking them for their service. I think it made them feel good. I know it made me feel good. The veterans I spoke to were from all branches of service and spanned WWII, Korea, the Bay of Pigs Invasion, etc. Today I talked to cooks, sergeants, and a Colonel. I'm proud and grateful of and for each one. I only wish it could help your efforts, but maybe you'll smile a bit to know that what you do matters to individuals who are enjoying the freedoms that you are there to protect.

Our local newspaper also had a special section today. In it they ran the stories of all the personnel we lost in every branch during Operation Iraqi Freedom. I made a promise to the dead to read the entire section. I had to stop four times, but eventually made good on my promise. How amazing that we lost so few, but how painful is each loss? I'm not opposed to the war. In fact, I'm all for it, but I felt pain with each story.

I think today was a very special Memorial Day for every generation in America. I'm very proud of our troops. The phone calls I made to the veterans I'm aware of (there are so many I don't know are veterans, and I hope to make it up to them throughout the rest of the year,) were very special to me and I hope special to them.

I encourage all to take a few hours or moments on Memorial Day or Veteran's day, to call those who were members of the armed services of the US of A and say, thanks for your service.

I'm also saying today, a prayer for the two members of my family who were lost to war, Corporal Benjamin Griggs, an ancestor of mine who died at Valley Forge over 200 years ago and my great uncle, Staff Sergeant Elmer W. Beck, who has been missing since January 1944 in a bombing mission over New Guinea. Any information about Sgt. Beck would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you to all who have served.

DS

KoreaScouter:

I'm so sorry for your loss and the family's loss. I truly wish us civilians could do something meaningful to those who pass in the name of freedom.

I spent several hours this afternoon calling veterans and thanking them for their service. I think it made them feel good. I know it made me feel good. The veterans I spoke to were from all branches of service and spanned WWII, Korea, the Bay of Pigs Invasion, etc. Today I talked to cooks, sergeants, and a Colonel. I'm proud and grateful of and for each one. I only wish it could help your efforts, but maybe you'll smile a bit to know that what you do matters to individuals who are enjoying the freedoms that you are there to protect.

Our local newspaper also had a special section today. In it they ran the stories of all the personnel we lost in every branch during Operation Iraqi Freedom. I made a promise to the dead to read the entire section. I had to stop four times, but eventually made good on my promise. How amazing that we lost so few, but how painful is each loss? I'm not opposed to the war. In fact, I'm all for it, but I felt pain with each story.

I think today was a very special Memorial Day for every generation in America. I'm very proud of our troops. The phone calls I made to the veterans I'm aware of (there are so many I don't know are veterans, and I hope to make it up to them throughout the rest of the year,) were very special to me and I hope special to them.

I encourage all to take a few hours or moments on Memorial Day or Veteran's day, to call those who were members of the armed services of the US of A and say, thanks for your service.

I'm also saying today, a prayer for the two members of my family who were lost to war, Corporal Benjamin Griggs, an ancestor of mine who died at Valley Forge over 200 years ago and my great uncle, Staff Sergeant Elmer W. Beck, who has been missing since January 1944 in a bombing mission over New Guinea. Any information about Sgt. Beck would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you to all who have served.

DS