Yes, but I would make HIM do it!!! :-)

I have had success with the mesh bag and regular wash, but hand wash separately until you find out if the red will run. Also the red embroidery tends to unravel if vigorously agitated (don't we all!!).

(This message has been edited by scoutldr)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At summer camp last year, the OA members went on a hike, and I had dropped my sash in dirt, I just went to the bathroom sink and use the sponge there, hand soap and used the freezing cold water :D, It worked for me, sash wasn't perfect but it was clean and I had no issues, I've washed it before with my clothes, but I used only cold water, if it helps any :p

• 2 months later...

Back when I got inducted into the OA almost ten years ago I remember people telling us that the sash should not be washed because if it gets dirty it represents service. This led to some sashes that were in a really bad condition. Around that same time, the plastic sleeves were introduced but, at least in my lodge, it turned out to be a not so popular item.

A couple of years later wearing a clean sash became the norm, and we started to remind everyone that a scout is clean and a dirty and ugly sash didn't give a good image to the OA. About the sashes, i've never had any problems with the current sash when washing it with other pieces of clothing. Dry cleaning is a good option, but if he's just done Ordeal he'll probably want to do brotherhood in the next year so a new sash may be on the way. Then it's time to take care of the long-term sashes (I usually buy a new one every other year).

AJ

I once was with a member who said that in his lodge, the custom was that you kept the sash of your current honor of membership clean and pristine and wore it only with the uniform, etc. If you were doing work or other activities where the sash might get dirty, you wore the sash of your previous honor.

In other words, if you are currently a Brotherhood Honor member, you would wear your older Ordeal sash when doing work.

We are involved in the weekly tapouts at camp and wear our sash all day on OA Day (brotherhood projects, meals, ceremonies...). Even with all the dirt and kerosene soot that gets on the sashes, a simple washing with other whites in cold does the trick and they come out as good as new. But have noticed the red thread slightly fraying towards the end of the summer season. Just gives us a reason to buy a new one and donate the older ones to a needy Brotherhood candidate. We hang them up to dry to keep from shrinking. My wife started doing that after I complained about them creeping up in my armpit. She blames it instead on my shirt stretcher.

• 1 month later...

I know I'm late to this thread, but I'll be honest -- I have 2 boys in OA and I wash their sashes in the washing machine along with their scout uniforms after every OA camping event. I can't stand to see them dirty.

I have not had any trouble with running red (I was worried the first time I washed my older boy's first sash, but not after that). I have also not had any trouble with the red unraveling.

I also put them in the dryer.

Cold or Warm water... cold if they're not TOO dirty. Stain-remover (whatever is on sale at the moment) if the dirt is really ground in. I always inspect the sashes when they come out of the washer, before putting them into the dryer, to avoid setting the stains in. I have even been known to re-wash them with a little bleach if they didn't come clean the first time. The red has not faded at all.

When they come out of the dryer, I roll them up neatly into a little cylinder shape for the boys to put away until next time. I love seeing the boys put on their uniforms and their OA sashes, all crisp and clean. Part of me would like to make them clean them, but I'm just OCD enough to want to do it myself and make sure I get it right. ;)

Reason that it (and many other articles of clothing) shrink while hanging in the closet is something called "outgassing".

It seems that the materials used in the manufacture of clothing give off gasses long after they are manufactured, and it is these gasses that when allowed to accumulate in a closed environment like a closet, actually cause the molecules in cloth to contract around the atoms in the cloth elements, making them denser as well as smaller.