who chooses adult members?

I'm getting in on this discussion a bit late. Looks like it was actually started years ago. However, nobody has given the answers I would have expected to the original question. People have pointed out that there aren't rules on this, but I know in my lodge there are. Our lodge bylaws say the following about adult "elections":

"Adult Scouter Election: Every registered unit adult Scouter present at the election may vote. Scouts may not vote on Scouter candidates."

"Adult Scouters must be elected at a committee meeting prior to camp."

I am also surprised that a SM would decide that he couldn't trust his troop committee to make the decision. It would seem to violate the democratic spirit of the Order.

Just my 2 cents.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"If you have a Troop Committee that has no idea what OA is, then how does one become a member of OA? I am trying to get some eagle scouts involved with OA, but the troop committee does not want them involved unless one of the leaders are involved."

It depends on the age of the Eagle Scouts. Those under the age of 18 are elected by the youth in the troop and the Scoutmaster requests the election. Those over the age of 18 are subject to the 1 adult per unit nomination by the troop committee. The Scoutmaster contacts the OA directly and requests an election. The troop committee is not part of the process. An election and an adult nomination can be held once every charter year.

rdcrisco -

I second Tokala - have your SPL contact the lodge or chapter's elections chairman. A trained elections team can visit and explain everything.

However, the troop committee should understand that OA membership is not up to them, but up to the Scouts. The committee has zero say in the matter. If the SPL requests a unit election, and the election is conducted properly, then the Scouts are elected. End of story.

The adult leadership only has a say in the form of the Scoutmaster, who must approve all eligible candidates before the election. Conceivably, he or she could disqualify all of them - but it would be pretty hard to say that multiple Eagle Scouts are not qualified, which would be a heck of a step.

Sounds to me like rdcrisco is asking two questions which are getting mixed together:

1) How do I get the Scouts involved/some elected to OA? The answer to that one is have an OA election team come out and explain the process - as many scouts who fulfill the requirements can be elected by the troop as a whole. This election can either be held during a troop meeting or at summer camp. My personal preference is summer camp - after all, it is an honorary camping and service society.

2) How do I get an adult leader involved/nominated to OA (since the troop committee does not want scout-aged OA members going off on OA events on their own)? The answer to that is the troop committee can nominate one eligible adult per 50 scouts per year. The OA officers in your lodge can help with the explanation on that one. It's normally done during a troop meeting. Adult eligibility is basically the same as scout eligibility. The difference for adults is that the criteria for nomination, once eligibility is established, is, "who can best serve the youth needs of the lodge."

Google Order of the Arrow. Check out the national website. There are some local mileage variances, but the basic requirements concerning eligibility should be the same. Call your local scout office - the camping person will be able to put you in touch with your local lodge.

Vicki(This message has been edited by Vicki)

As a side note, I'm not sure I understand the concern of the troop committee members in this case. rdcrisco, could you clarify?

Scouts go off on their own rather frequently to Scouting events where leaders from their unit aren't necessarily present, and the troop committee has no say in those issues either.

They include summer camp, as a provisional camper, and national high adventure bases, Philmont and national and world jamborees, all as part of a council contingent.

I wrote, "The answer to that is the troop committee can nominate one eligible adult per 50 scouts per year. The OA officers in your lodge can help with the explanation on that one. It's normally done during a troop meeting."

Should have said a troop committee meeting. The result is then given to the OA election team when they come to do the troop election.

Vicki