Help a dad out - OA

Ok....

the boy just got home from a campout and said that he was elected to the Order of the Arrow. Can someone give a dad (ME) the rundown of exactly what this is? I know it is an honorable distinction, but am not sure what he is required to do or resonsibilities it carries. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

The OA is an honor bestowed by one's peers...for those who most exemplify the Scout Oath and law and meet other requirements such as First Class, number of camping days, approval of SM, etc. See www.oa-bsa.org for more info. The OA Lodge and Chapters are youth-run and provide more opportunities for fellowship, leadership and "cheerful service" to the Council and community. The primary purpose of the OA is to promote camping at the unit level. Next, your son will be expected to attend the "Ordeal", a weekend during which he will be expected to reflect inwardly and provide service, usually at the Council camp. The details of the Ordeal and other OA ceremonies are not revealed to non-members, to preserve the mystery and solemnity of the occasions. Of course, as a parent, you are entitled to have any questions answered and to observe any activities. Contact your council's Lodge or Chapter adult advisor if you have any concerns. The ceremonies and traditions of the OA are based on the legends of the Lenni Lenape tribe of Native Americans...the indiginous people of the Delaware River area of Pennsylvania/NJ where the OA was founded at Camp Treasure Island near Philadelphia.

Responsibilities: your son will be encouraged to attend monthly Chapter meetings, and to participate in future OA events as staff or committee member (Ordeals, Fall Fellowship, Christmas Banquet, Summer Camp staff, Camp work days, etc). He can run for election as a chapter or Lodge officer. Arrowmen are reminded that their first obligation is to their Troop and their OA activities should not replace what they do at the unit level. I am amazed at the number of scouts who pass their Ordeal and are never seen again. If you're not going to participate, then why bother?

Congratulations to your son. It is indeed an honor to be recognized by one's peers.(This message has been edited by scoutldr)

Scoutldr pretty much covered the basics about the OA. I will add the following.

The OA is several things. It's a service organization, so your son can be involved in a lot more ways to serve scouting and his community. It's a leadership development organization, so your son can be involved in new leadership development training and opportunities. And because of its Indian Lore inspiration, many people get into that aspect. There are some people who only get into one of these, some into many or some.

OA can open a lot of doors to new experiences in scouting. Tying in to the above:

* he can now be involved in service work for his camp and local community thru his lodge and chapter (subdivision of his lodge). And there are national service opportunities, such as ArrowCorps5 coming up this Summer (this may lead to future versions of this).

* he can now be involved with scouts from his district and council, and become a leader amoung them, planning out events at district, council or even area levels (maybe national, if he wants).

* he can now be involved in unique opportunites open only to Arrowmen, such as the OA Service Corps at Jamboree, attending NOAC (National OA Conference), OA Trail Crew at Philmont, OA Wilderness Voyage at Northern Tier, and OA Ocean Adventure at Sea Base.

* he can attend unique leadership development opportunities such as Lodge Leadership Development, National Leadership Seminar, and more. There are also lodge and chapter events, Section Conferences/Conclaves, and more.

* he can be given the chance to staff local scouting events, thru the lodge and chapter being asked to help out at scout shows, camporees, etc. I've heard of whole camporees staffed by Arrowmen.

* he can help out scouting in his local council thru OA Scoutreach activities, organized by his lodge & chapter.

I know of many scouts, many who have Eagle, who stayed in scouting because of their involvement in the OA.

Congratulations to your son. :)

Scoutldr covered many of the bases.

The Order, to my way of thinking, supplements the basic program in several areas:

- Leadership. The Order gives latitude for a young man who wants to grow as a leader. There is work to be done in the unit, at District (chapter) level, at Council (lodge) level, and even into BSA Region and National levels!

- Service. Whether at Scout Camp now, or on a Trail Crew at Philmont after he's 16, the Order inculcates the service ethic. If it hits him as it once did me, the desire to help others before ones self will be branded upon his heart in just a couple years!

- Thespianism. The Order offers the young actor or orator opportunities far beyond what he can do on a high school stage. Authentic costume research, design, and manufacture. Voice development so he can project in an outdoor ampitheater. Confidence in memorizing and carrying out major parts.

- Fellowship. Your son will meet other young men from throughout the area. They'll see each other in bands, at football games, at basketball games, in forensics tournaments... some of the friendships will be lifelong!

May he enjoy ! :)

I won't add to what the others have said, as their comments are right on the money.

But I would suggest that you direct your questions to your SM and Troop OA representative -- only they can tell you how OA is perceived by the boys in your local troop. They can also give you the names of the chapter (district) and lodge (council) advisors, who will be more than happy to answer any questions you might have about OA.

Congrats to your son.

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations to your son! He has been selected to undergo a rewarding inwward journey. His experiences in the order will help him to be a better leader in his troop, and a more active servant to his community.

The Order of the Arrow is a Brotherhood of Cheerful Service. The oppertunities for fun and fellowship are so many I could not possibly list them all. It is truly an amazing organization.

scoutldr said, "I am amazed at the number of scouts who pass their Ordeal and are never seen again."

We call that sash and dash in our lodge.

John-in-KC, "Authentic costume research..."

There are some in our lodge that would give you a hard time for saying "custume." ;-)(This message has been edited by MarkS)