Bolo Tie Propriety

I have recently returned actively to Scouting and am assuming the leadership position in my son's Webelos den. In completing my updated uniform appropriate to the occasion I must inquire as to the propriety of wearing my OA bolo tie in lieu of the customary Webelos scarf or Cub Scout bolo tie. My first inclination was to ask around the Pack heirarchy, but I have noticed that their uniform standards (per the Insignia Guide) appear somewhat lax and haphazard. (From what I've read throughout the forums, uniformity in appearance has lessened in priority over the years.)

Welcome!

To my knowledge, as long as your OA dues are up to date you should be OK with the OA bolo and pocket flap. Now, you may want to choose more cub oriented neck wear, but there's no rule against it (as far as I know).

Have fun and good luck! Don't let uniform frustrations get in the way.

Remember, I'm not the BSA insignia guide, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

BSA Insignia guide - http://www.scouting.org/Media/InsigniaGuide.aspx

I think for most of us, we are more interested in that people are wearing the right thing in the right place.

My view has always been that items like belts, hats, neckwear (neckerchief, bolo tie, etc), are pretty much up to the individual. There may be times to wear certain things (I have about 3 different hats I wear at different times depending on what program I am working with).

Personally, I never carried for neckerchiefs. I started wearing bolo ties as a scout, and wore a Southeast Region one I got at the 81 jamboree for years until I got my beads. Now I wear those.

I would consider OA neckwear similar to the OA sash appropriate for wear during OA activities.

If you want to set the example for your den, wear the scarf.

The uniform is a method, not a goal. Wearing the uniform and insignia properly is good, but minor "infractions" are not going to break the program.

Ed P.

"I would consider OA neckwear similar to the OA sash appropriate for wear during OA activities."

That's when you wear the sash. The bolo, patch, dangle, belt buckles, tattoo, and earrings are for other times.

I'm also not sure that you need to wear the neckerchief to set the standard for your Scouts. If you do want to wear the necker to be an example, you could save your bolo for wear when you go to UOS, Roundtable, Wood Badge, BALOO, WLOT (or what ever it is called this week).

Thank you all. With reflection and your insights I believe the better approach will be in wearing the neckerchief to "lead by example", at least initially. It may stem from my military time, but I believe strongly in uniformity and standardization as a strong basis for teaching and maintaining team/Den/Pack spirit. Contrary to the advertisements, an "Army of one" doesn't get the job done. :)

I think you have made the best choice - the Cub neckerchief will be an example for your Cubs and give your Pack more of an esprit de corps. By all means, be sure to wear your Lodge's flap and your membership emblem (the silver arrow on the red/white ribbon that hangs on your right pocket flap) if you are a brother in good standing and a member of a Lodge. You are supposed to be wearing these two insignia as part of your regular uniform. You can also use them to start a conversation with your Cubs about the OA and inspire them to become brothers one day.

When I became a den leader about 4 years ago, I faced this same problem. I could not replace the OA bolo that I had as a youth. Wulapeju Lodge #140 had a silver arrow stamped out on a leather thong. You had a white bone, and red bead as a Ordeal Member, 2 of each sets of beads as a Brotherhood, and 3 of each for Vigil. When they had the 3 sets, they would form a triangle with the beads. I ended up carving the arrowhead out of wood, and painted it. Over the years I have had several people ask what it stood for, and why I wore it. I look at this is a way to open up conversation about other levels of scouting.