Unique Lodge Ceremonies

Hello Arrowmen,

After visiting a lodge whose name I won't mention, I noticed that it was dry and bland with no flair. After discussing with other adults about my lodge ceremonies, they seemed very interested in adding to their own. I know there are a lot of lodges like mine that add a personal touch to the ceremonies whether it be drumming, physical representation of the legend, unique layout of the ceremonial site, etc. Anyway I would really like to find out what other lodges do different from the "text book" ceremony. I think it would be an interesting collection that I could share with the many lodges I get to visit. Maybe it could grow into something more!

Thanks for the input.

Kudu, I assume by your name that you run the site you posted about. I think it is irresponsible for you to refer to these Woodcraft Scout ceremonies as (Ordeal) and (Vigil) on the site, because it goes against the symbolic progression of the OA. While these scripts are not the OA scripts, they are suggestive and not protected.

"Suggestive and not protected"? I don't understand what you mean.

The secret scripts and "symbolic" stuff in OA is mostly Masonic in origin, not Native American!

Only the Native American initiations are covered on the Kudu Net, and Ernest Seton intended those to be public knowledge.

If Amangi Mizin is looking for fresh ideas, why not go to the source that first inspired Carroll Edson in the summer of 1915?

Ernest Seton's entire Woodcraft Indians handbook, The Birch Bark Roll, can be found at:

http://kudu.net/traditional/seton/birch/index.htm

Kudu

I'll add to this. I'm not giving anything away.

Most lodges have their own ceremony ring. Some may be in a location that is used by other groups, some in the place that makes it really only usable by the lodge. My home lodge built a ceremony ring that is inspired by southeastern tribes. This means a round ceremony ring with no grass, and four ceremonial shelters at the cardinal points, each with benches.

Costumes also can make a ceremony most impression. Some lodges do a good job of research and creating authentic outfits from the local tribes. Others...do not. Most lodges in my state use Seminole outfits, usually circa 1830s, and much research has been done by scouters and re-enactors such that no lodge has an excuse for having bad outfits.

Music. I've really only seen (heard?) this done once, when we played the soundtrack to "Dances with Wolves" over and over for a Vigil tap out. It made it the most impressive tap out I had been at. (sadly, not my own).