OA Unit Election Video

Fellow Arrowmen,

Greetings!

For years, I've seen some excellent Arrowmen visit and explain the meaning of the OA and election procedures.

No matter how well these Arrowmen conduct themselves, there is still often confusion with the 11, 12, maybe 13 year old Scouts and maybe some older.

Finally in 2004, I viewed an OA election video during an election. Although it was a 1999 video; to me, it was the best thing since sliced bread. Since then, when conducting OA elections, my Chapter has found the election videos explain the purpose of the OA very well. The seem to have been written by the National OA Committee and assisted by Unami Lodge 1.

Then after viewing these videos our Arrowmen can amplify any specific points or answer any questions.

For a couple of years now, I have inherited the 1999 VHS OA Unit Election. http://www.oa-bsa.org/annc/oaannc1999.htm

Now thinking that 99 OA Unit Election video was outstanding, in 2008 I have very recently found the 2001 edition of the OA Unit Election, online at http://training.oa-bsa.org/?action=browse&dir=Videos/

Maybe I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes. But where can I get a DVD copy of this 2001 OA election video??!!!

Both videos are great. But the most recent 2001 edition seems to explain procedures even better. After downloading a copy of the 2001 video from the OA training page, I can only show it with a laptop computer and S-video to RCA jack. Not horribly difficult, but I would prefer for our OA election teams to just carry an envelope, pencils and either a DVD or VHS (without a youth asking for a computer or bringing their parents laptop)

Now for my question.

Does anyone know where I can obtain a VHS or DVD of this 2001 OA Unit Election Video?

Thank you!

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

From what I see on the OA website, these are MP4 files, which means they need Quicktime instead of Windows Media Player. I think the idea is download, burn to a CD, and present as needed. Of course, that implies someone has a computer projector available.

Frankly, the cost of downloading and burning locally is far cheaper for you than will Supply Corporation putting the material in their catalog :(

ICS, John

There's also freeware available that will convert MP4 to WMV.

My copy of Nero will allow me to make DVDs with menus, splash screens and even add a sound track to the menu.

BUT, I just looked at that MP4 and if you want to blow it up much, the quality will be horrible. Even at 640x480, it isn't that good.

GW,

That's unfortunate.

In my non-Scouting life, I'm VP and DVD committee chair of the local HS band boosters.

All I have is a fairly simple hand cam and windows movie maker (or when I'm really lucky, EagleSon's Mac), and I can turn out good product for 640x480 resolution. Of course, I use a high bandwidth in mixdown, because I intend for the product to be on a CD or hard drive, not internet streamed.

You'd think the National Lodge can afford access to decent gear (yes, I know the NL hasn't existed since 1947, but it sounds lots better than the "National Committee": THAT sounds like pure bureaucracy.)

Sigh.

Heck, for the price Movie Maker is a pretty good tool. I've used it to create quality movies that look good on a full screen. Yes, you'd think that National would be able to do a better job especially when "better" only requires that you upload a couple different versions of the same movie.