Anniversary Patch on Sash

hey everyone,

So i was looking on ebay and i ran across an O.A. 50th Anniversary patch that was suppose to be sown on the O.A. sash itself. i know the rules about patches being on the sash but i also remember running across a 75th anni. patch as well (at least i think it was)so i started to wonder if anyone thinks their will be a 100th anni. coming out to put on the sash. so what does everyone think about this?

While there was a patch made during the BSA 75th Anniversary for the OA, it was NOT to be worn on the sash.

For the OA 75th Anniversary they did a special pocket device, which lead to some of the similiar ones in recent years. I think they had a generic 75th Anniversary patch, but it was not to be worn on the sash.

The only patches that are allowed on the sash are OA 50th and OA 60th (Bicentennial) awards.

While I am sure there will be patches for the OA 100th Anniversary, it will remain to be seen what form a 100th Anniversary Award will take. With the popularity of the pocket devices in the last few years (the current Leadership in Service one ends this year), it will remain to be seen if they continue such awards into the BSA's 100th Anniversary &/or the OA's 100th Anniversary, or go back to patches.

As noted, ONLY the OA 50th and 60th Anniversary patches are authorized to be worn on the sash.

Legend patches (sometimes called 'sashbacks') are not authorized, and are expresssly forbidden in the Insignia Guide. This is a little unusual, as the Insignia Guide by and large is about showing what goes where and who wears what, and pretty much never gets into of who can't wear something or that something is not to be worn (either at all or in particular places).

If I am correct, the pewter pin from the 1975 NOAC is also allowed to be worn on the sash. Mine has been there since '75. Last year at NOAC, my roommate saw my sash and asked to look at the pin. He stated that he was on staff in '75, and that since it was the last NOAC that Goodman had attended, that the decision was made to allow the pin to continue to be worn on the sash after NOAC had ended.

GW,

Who says it's not kosher? He didn't add anything. What kind of beads did he use and who did it for him? Or did he do it? Just think of the time and cost. Wow!!! And I bet it will hold up a lot longer. I would love to see it.

• 2 months later...

Beaded sashes are not permitted. If someone is wearing one they are out of uniform and their lodge brothers should have a word with them.

If you insist on wearing one there are patterns for them on the internet, and also there are internet stores that sell completed ones - some of them with the legend beaded into the backs as well. I think these ready-made ones are made in China. Again, though, they are not authorized OA sashes. It is like the black ones or other styles that are being commercially sold over the internet and outside of the OA.