How to get OA members excited

I am planning for my lodge banquet in January--usually about 250 in attendance, but I'm from a 1500 person lodge. How can I boost these numbers for the banquet?

What fun activities can I offer for OA aged kids?

What will draw them in?

Uhhh... I'm a little past 21, and it seems to me coming to Adviser-age folk for the "good-idea" fairy is a last resort, not a first.

BTW, it's the 3d week of November. If you're just now thinking about Lodge Banquet, I hate to say it, but you're probably behind the power curve!

- Start right after Fall Fellowship!

- GET YOUR CHAPTERS INVOLVED. Have each Chapter run a game.

- Get your LEC committees involved. Ask them to run a game relative to their particular functional task.

- Got plans to go to NOAC? Ask them to put together something, both in terms of the last trip and planning for the next one.

- Older (15-19 year old Arrowmen) might like to attend with their girlfriends. Have you thought of something to make this a fun date an Arrowman can take a young lady to?

- How much does the Lodge do in support of the Scout Reservation? Got a big multimedia slideshow on the fun the Camp Staff has?

I'll let some others chime in now. I do wish you well, but you and your LEC are going to have to work very hard to make this years banquet a good one.

I have not been active in the OA for a while, but I am a brotherhood. (me holds hand out for slapping for not being active)

Here is what I would say would help...

- Hold regular meetings

- Make it fun

- Allow the elected youth Chief, etc do their job

- Help staff special events like camp-o-ree's and scout shows

- Do things to show off like create a dance or drum team and compete against other lodges and Indian nations

- Get all together to put together a great camp promotion program

- Get everyone to toss in their favorite places to camp and explorer and create a book to give away / sell

Scratches chin... thats all I have for now ... I have never done anything at Lodge level, only Chapter so take what is useful toss rest into cyber space garbage dump ;)

Hope my wacky 2 cents was useful...

Scott Robertson

http://insanescouter.org

Helping leaders one click at a time....

John-in-KC, thanks for the suggestions, but I think you misinterpreted my post. I have been organizing this thing for some time...most everything is set, but I was just looking for any additional last minute attendance boosters. I don't want this to just be a Banquet, I want it to be something that will get kids there and really make them want to get back involved in the OA. Any other suggestions form people out there?

OK, I did misinterpret.

What's your position in the Lodge? If an Adviser, how has the LEC been delegated authority and responsibility to make this a grand evening?

I do have to agree with Scott, though, a solid year-round program of lodge activity will be a better booster of attendance than a year-end push. Induction weekends, lodge activities during Scout Camp, perhaps a Lodge based OA Service Trek at Philmont for the over-16s... each event builds buzz in the younger Arrowmen, and helps the 17-20 year olds stay involved.

Unless you are in Hawaii, maybe January weather is keeping back some attendees? You could try holding next years event when it is warmer out (Yah I know, only so many open weekend dates). 250 isn't a bad number though, more than some lodges have total!

Actually I missed the point to Hills - sorry ... of course I will just blame the hour since I posted that at 1:30 am... lol ...

Banquet attendance ideas...

- have a slide show of lodge and maybe chapter level events

- have some fun activities such as

- demo of drum team

- dance team showing what they do

- Native American crafts

- have the food have a native American theme

- make it youth ran where the lodge chief and one he picks MC's it

- have the lodge youth plan it out

- invite the families of the Arrowmen

- Have some kind of awards ceremony even if just thank you certificates we all have binder full of

Anyways hope this new list is more helpful...

Scott Robertson

http://insanescouter.org

Helping leaders one click at a time....