NOAC (National Order of the Arrow Conference)

One of the folks in my council suggested that I might want to help out and attend NOAC on the next shot in 2009.

Has enyone ever been?

What is it like as an adult?

What are the NOACs like?

I am interested but know little about them and have had a challenge finding out much about them. Also, I am not a Vigil honor either.

So you are not a Vigil Honor. Most Scouters are not. Most Arrowmen are not (that has included me since sealing my membership in 1971). We give cheerful service because we care about the youth, whether we were voting members as youth ourselves, or whether we were inducted as adults.

If your motive to serve is to help young people have a great and good time, learning things they can apply back in the home Council, go for it. If your motive is anything else, examine your own heart.

I will let others discuss being an Adviser onsite at NOAC. I have not had that privilege, EagleSon the past two summers has been either a Camp Staffer or in his HS band. NOAC was off his scope.(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

ScoutDad,

I attended the'75 NOAC as a Eagle/Brotherhood Scout, and the '06 as a leader with my then 19 year old Eagle/Ordeal. I don't remember a lot about '75, darned Alzheimers. I rmember having fun though. Last year I had a great time. They had great classes, exhibits, shows and people to meet.

I think the next one is in Evansville Indiana. And the dorm rooms WILL BE AIRCONDITIONED, unlike MSU. You have to go. It is a blast seeing what these boy leaders manage to put together for NOAC.

Hopefully we'll meet at the next one. i plan on being there either as a leader or on staff.

• 1 month later...

I have been to two NOACs, the one in 2004 and the one in 2006. In 2006 I served on staff working in the Radio doing the morning shows and the Pre-Show Shows in front of the Breslin Center at MSU. I had a blast both times. It is truly one of the highlights of my Scouting career. There is something to do for everyone there. I dont think that there is anyone who goes to a NOAC and is miserable the whole and wanting to come home. The next NOAC is at Indiana University in Bloomington, Indiana. The rooms are air-condidtioned, which is a plus over the non A/C rooms at MSU. I am looking forward to it and I cant wait.

I have been to almost every NOAC since 2000.

As an adult contingent leader, your basic 'job' is to support the youth contingent members.

There will be a wide array of workshops/seminars you can attend. take advantage of that and go to them.

There are great shows in the evening. Go to them.

There are various other activities. Take advantage of them, such as the OA Musuem and displays, the Founder's Day, and more.

• 4 months later...

"Has enyone ever been?"

I have attended many and didn't attend as a youth.

What is it like as an adult?

Many lodges need dependable adults to help advise/chaperone the youth on these types of events. Typically, attendance is restricted to 1 adult for every 2 youth attending from your home lodge. If your lodge has a lot of involved adults, register early!

What are the NOACs like?

NOAC for adults can be very rewarding. I was the adviser for my lodges's sing team in 1994. These young men went to NOAC and competed and won the singing competition. I don't think I have ever been more proud of a group of Scouts and their accompishment. I didn't even attend that NOAC as a member of my lodge's contingent. I got bumped for other adults, but I have many connections through the section and got a slot with another lodge.

If you cannot get a slot with your lodge, they do use members to staff the event. Check the National Bulletin for information on who the Conference Vice Chiefs are next year and watch for staff information. I've attended prior NOACs with my lodge and did some seminars/training, and I've been a staff member previously where I spent the entire week as the "administrative assistant" to the chief of the Delaware tribe who was a guest of the Order of the Arrow.

The dates for NOAC 2009 were just released, and they are August 1-6 at Indiana University in Bllomington, IN (which has a huge campus and requires a lot of walking).