Chapter officer position descriptions

Having been appointed the new Chapter adviser for my district, I am trying to find a written description for OA chapter youth officers. For whatever reasons, there isn''t anything available from the lodge, and it sounds like it has never been created. Feel free to PM me the narratives.

I''m recalling deep past, since I cannot find my 1965 OA Handbook.

As I recall, the responsibilities are similar in nature, but limited in scope, to that of your single District/Chapter.

I know this much:

1) Chapter officers need to be an excellent conduit of information to OATR''s and Scoutmasters. This falls mainly to the Chief, the V/C of program, and the Elections Chair.

2) Chapter officers need to design some fun things for Arrowmen to do. Our Chapter has done an Arrowman bowling night and an Arrowmen campout.

3) Chapter officers need to WORK THE ELECTION PROCESS. There are too many examples here of not-fully-trained election teams doing things bluntly outside National policy.

4) Chapter officers need to provide support to the Lodge officers. I''ve seen HOW MANY ordeal weekends now where the LEC runs crazy, because they aren''t leveraging the bodies, minds, and skills of the Chapter officers. Gung Ho does not mean "HOOAH!", as Gunny will tell you. It means all pull together.

5) The holidays are coming. "With the guidance of our Maker"... is that not part of Mateu's several speeches? A holiday service project would provide blessings beyond measure... be it adopt a family, special Scouting for Food campaign, you name it!

HTH(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

"Guide for Officers and Advisors", page 16.

In a nutshell, the chapter structure should mirror the Lodge structure...the positions and duties are the same. The adults'' role at the chapter level is to serve as an advisor to a youth officer.

I too have been recently appointed Chapter Adviser. I''m looking for some advice on how to take a non-existant chapter (No officers, meetings, etc.) and help turn it into something the Scouts and the Lodge can be proud to be a part of.

Any advice from those with more experience would be great.

Lauwit.