Boy cannot be present for ordeal.

Well for those of you who had read my prior question: "When does a boy find out if he has been elected for the OA?" I finally got the answer. To make a long story short he was selected. Enough said. He missed the "Call Out" because nobody notified him and now we have the problem in that he will not be attending the "Ordeal" because of prior commitments he had made and he wants to honor that commitment. Here is the question. I was told by an SM of another troop that he has boys that will not be attending the "Ordeal" because they also had other commitments and are not able to attend, but if they paid there "Dues" they would not have to be re-elected next year but would have to go to through the "Ordeal" next year to become a part of the OA, is that true?

We had a case last year where a scout was elected, signed up to do his ordeal at our council camp the final week of camp, and council canceled the entire camp that week. We got special consideration for that scout to wait until the next season to do his ordeal. It was out of his control. I doubt your situation will qualify for such consideration. But your lodge may vary.

I don't have the proper books to quote from the regs. However, locally, you have one year from the date of your election to complete your Ordeal, or you must be reelected before you can attend Ordeal.

Our elections are held in late winter. We offer 2 ordeals in the spring and one in the fall. All dates are provided to the candidates soon after they are elected. These dates are not secret and are also listed on the council calendars passed out every year. Very few fail to make one or the other ordeal.

I feel sure that if Mr.Crossramwedge Junior (Yes him not you!!) finds out who to talk with and explains the situation something could be worked out.

There might have to be some give and take on both sides!!

The Lodge might have to come up with a way of making it happen and Junior more than lightly will have to give up a weekend that he wasn't planning on giving up.

I do however feel that he needs to approach this from a "Hey I need your help" stance and definitely not from a "Hey you screwed up and nobody notified me!" stance.

The officers in the Lodge are all youth members and I feel it's important that every effort should be made to allow the youth to work out what needs to be done with another youth member.

Ea.

I agree with moxieman. Elections are valid for 1 year.

It's sad in this case, because I will bet at least one other Ordeal opportunity came and went since his election date.

I agree with E on what CRW jr should do.

At the adult level, I think I would visit with the Chapter Adviser, the Lodge Adviser, and the Professional Staff Adviser. Some of the error here belongs to us adults, not the Candidate. How much discretion is there in policy? Maybe none, but if you don't ask, you won't get... and I've noticed over the years the SE and the Professional Staff Adviser seem to be able to make a lot of things "happen."(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

Cross,

You're working this one hard.

Moxie's correct. No matter when and how often your Lodge has Ordeal Weekends (we have one in September, March, and June), the candidate has one year to complete his Ordeal program after the election.

I kept up with your other thread of course. Your son's committments are understandable, but in my opinion, not fitting for an extention.

No, you can't just pay OA dues and have your elligibility extended. The Ordeal program is where you become a member. You can't pay dues for something you don't yet belong to. That's really bad info from that other SM.

Looks like your son will need to be re-elected in December. Maybe he just needs to not worry about the OA. He appears to already be extremely busy.

sst3rd

OK. He will wait then. This has been one big mess. From the SM all the way down. I tell you one thing, I am of the opinion that it is best that the SM himself should inform a boy of his election right off the bat. Then he should continue to keep him informed of "Call Out" opportunities etc. I know some Troops like to surprize the candidate, but with todays lifestyles , people need to plan ahead. Yes, he has missed opportunities from being "Called Out" to the "Ordeal" because the SM wanted to keep it a secret. I also found out that there was a mix up on his paper work on the "Lodge" end of it and they did not mail out his "Notification". He missed the "Call Out" ceremony because his whole troop elected to help another troop member with his Eagle project and voted to not attend the event. I ended up explaining to him what happened. He took it in stride. The "Ordeal" is being held in two weeks but he wants to honor a prior commitment that he had already made and will not be there because of that. But if he had known sooner he would be there. Well I guess there is next year.

Oh and as far as him being busy. This will be only the Second "Camp Out" He has missed in the three and one half years since he crossed over (Over 30 of them.) He stays busy in the "Scouts". They average 10 to 12 campouts a year, "Summer Camps", Camporee's, two night outings, HA's etc. a year.

Just to add on to what was already said, the Lodge Executive Committee (all youth members) is allowed to grant an exemption to the 1-year policy. It is atleast worth having your son talk to them to find out, if you want to push the issue.

It was always my understanding that the Ordeal must be completed at summer camp or at the Fall Ceremonial. If it wasn't, then the Scout or adult must be tapped out again.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

From the Guide to Officers and Advisors:

Boy Scouts, Varsity Scouts, or adults

remain candidates until completion of the Ordeal and

Ordeal ceremony. If this period of candidacy exceeds one

year, the candidates name will be dropped. To become

candidates again, they must be elected/selected again.

The executive committee of the lodge may extend the

one-year limit if a candidate is ill or there are other

unusual circumstances.

I believe (but can't find a citation for it) that this period begins upon election, not being called out. Also, I don't believe you actually have to be called out in order to take the ordeal. While prefered, I don't think it is neccesary

Remember one thing CrossRam, OA is not an award, it is an honor. It is a commitment that needs to be fulfilled throughout the year. It is a fraternal service group within the BSA. Once the young one earns his sash and flap he needs to work to keep them.

Local, right now he is one of the most committed kids in his troop. I do not see that changing. It could though, he is only 14. Girls and Cars are in the future. He knows being elected to the OA is an honor. But I am wondering, how does an OA scout choose between the activities going on in the "troop" or the OA if they are scheduled at the same time? I guess that is part of growing up. He will just have to choose.