I was in the OA when I was a scout, and am now getting involved in scouting as an adult. I am trying to get information regarding my time in The Order, but am running into problems. I first emailed the chapter webmaster, and received no response. I then tried the chapter advisor and the DE, still nothing. The only thing I can think of doing now is emailing the SE or possibly the Lodge advisor. I moved around 6 times after turning 18, and my parents moved twice, we were unable to locate any of my old paperwork for scouts, and I'm just glad my uniform never got thrown out. Do any of you have advice?

Thanks

I couldn't locate any information about mine either. I did have my old sash (didn't fit, however). They took my word for it (a Scout is trustworthy). Later I did find my old membership card, but they had already allowed me to rejoin.

My records were 30 years and two Council mergers old. At one point, I did ask the Professional Staff Adviser for the successor Lodge if he or the Registrar could locate records.

He laughed. They had destroyed inactive records except Eagle/West/AOM/Vigil/Silver Beaver dating before 1980 in 1995.

I'm really glad I held on to my OA handbook and my membership cards.

Your best bet is to try to get in touch with either the lodge or chapter advisor (whoever you seem to have information for). If you can't get in touch with either, call the council office and ask to speak to the OA Lodge Staff Advisor. They should be able to help you out.

I had better luck with records but wanted something much simpler. I had occasion to write to the council where I was a cub scout many many moons ago to see how many years I had been registered. They responded quite promptly and included all three versions of my name and address that had been written on paper. I do have a very uncommon last name which made this feat easier. Let this be a lesson to scouts today when you age out or are moving go to your council and get a printout of your records to keep with the other important papers you will need someday.

I'm guessing that they don't have the records either. I do have an idea where my sash is, it should still fit. I'm hoping that since I still know the admonition, and the other tests, I should be OK. I'm guessing that they didn't get back to me because they couldn't find the data.

When I first thought about paying my dues in the Lodge I am currently a member in I contacted one of my previous lodges, actually the Council Service Center of the new Council where I was a youth. They referred me to a person whom was said to have the records. I never followed through with my research and found I did not need any more than the year(s) of my ordeal and brotherhood plus the training I went through. I've since found all the dates that I needed written down of all places inside my first OA handbook.

My current Lodge took my word for what I said to be true. Good thing because I never had any documentation for the time when I was active in the lodge that predates my current lodge. Both Lodges that I was a member of while under 21 as a youth have merged to form two new lodges.

Update:

I emailed Council today and they were able to find me in a database. They didn't have my Ordeal or Brotherhood dates, but did have a record of me paying dues in 1996, and that I was Brotherhood. I don't remember paying dues in '96, although it was like 5 bucks a year back then, and I may have paid 5 years in advance.

James