"Honor Camper's" or Honor"

I'll take the bait! John in KC asked for further discussion.

For years the OA was known as the Scout's society of honor campers. now they just call it the Honor society. E. Urner Goodman intended it to be for honor campers who which also were the best Scouts. The two do seem to fit like a glove. Scouting from its roots has made Camping an important method to teach the high ideals of Scouting.

Seperating camping from the OA just does not make sense, but then neither does changing the symbol of the OA as it has been changed. Personally I preferred the Souix with war bonnet, thinking the MGM Indian was ok but to change again to the arrowhead? (there's a spin off thread idea!) Have these changes made for a stronger, more meaningful OA for the youth members we serve? I do not think so, and from what I've seen so far they have not. One of the purposes of the Order is the promotion of Scout camping. What better way than to honor those who do so well and call it what it represents. As long as the camping requirements remain for admission to the Order then I think it should be called the Society of Honor Campers.

I'm 29 years + in having a vote in this.

I do have an opinion. I think it goes with where I see the Outdoor Method of Scouting being a tad weakened over time.

I understand why the Order was shifted from the National Camping Committee to the Boy Scout Division. I will bet a dollar to a donut that's when the change in terms occurred.

When I was a Scout, the emphasis was on camping, long term and short term. I love both my Scout CAMPS... but they are CAMPS. That means tents, platforms and (ack) dining halls.

Enough from me.

Actually the OA was moved from the National Camping Committee to the Boy Scout Committee in the early 70s, LONG before the change from 'Camping Honor Society' to 'Scouting's Honor Society'. That change occured at the 1998 NOAC. Which is also when they went from the 'MGM Indian Head' to the arrowhead. It was NOT very popular when announced. (I was there)

Since this time I have not seen a shift away from camping/camp promotion. Stuff like TOAP (The Outdoor Adventure Place) at NOACs and Jambo is still big. What I have seen is a widening of the OA to include more general service.

What I do have a problem with proclaiming the OA as 'Scouting's Honor Society' is they leave out a big part of scouting: Venturing in all this. But that's another topic...

• 3 weeks later...