Scoutmaster's Approval

Twocubdad, I truly like your approach and it is the first time I have ever heard of it. The only disadvantage I can see is that it could require a Scout to tell at length why he wants to be an OA member and get his imagination and hopes up and then risk not being elected. However, done thoughtfully, that's a major learning experience.

The other parts of it -- requiring the Scout to say how he would be active in the OA, etc. I really, really like.

Normally, the SM thinks that he or she needs to make the decision based on a 3rd party evaluation of "character" etc. This is a very nice touch.

"The other parts of it -- requiring the Scout to say how he would be active in the OA, etc. I really, really like. "

I think you'll find some of that is tough for a young Scout to do, most non-members don't have any idea what the OA is all about and how it functions inside. Much more than 'will you be attending Ordeals' is a bit much to ask at that point I think.

You are right, USR, I encourage the OA eligible Scouts to talk with the troop OA Rep or other brothers to find out about the organization. And that's pretty much the point -- to learn that they are being elected to membership in an organization with it's own meetings and activities. I think many Scouts look at OA as just another check box.

I had not thought of your point about Scouts being more disappointed if not elected, Neill. And it has happened. But I suppose it's a two-edged sword. Are we better of if a Scout has no understanding of the OA, fails to be elected and consequently doesn't really care?

I've always had a concern OA elections become a popularity contest, but I've been surprised that the Scouts are usually rather thoughtful in their voting and those elected are usually deserving.

Pre-election is a definite time for mentorship. Scoutmaster should talk to two groups of Scouts:

- Those who meet eligibility requirements.

- The Troop as a whole.

Along with the Elections team, the Scoutmaster is the gatekeeper of those who their peers will advance to candidacy. If the SM leverages the ethic of cheerful service well, the youth will understand this is not a popularity contest. If he doesn't invest his own planning, it will be a contest. Been there, seen it happen, both ways.

ICS, John

TwoCubDad wrote:

I require the elegible Scouts to let me know why the want to be in the OA, have a general understanding of what OA membership entails (meetings, etc.) and make a commitment to be active in the Order. I ask that the Scouts put this in writing, but if a Scout takes much initiative at all to let me know that he really interested, I will approve.

I almost completely disagree with this. How active or not a scout may be in the OA should have absolutely no bearing on whether that scout is on the ballot or elected. A scout that goes through the ordeal has absolutely no obligation to be active in chapter or lodge activities. His obligation is to his troop or team and that is where all emphasis should be placed.

Now when a scout wants to seal his membership in the OA by going through the brotherhood ceremony, then yes, perhaps those questions are then applicable.

SWScouter

"Now when a scout wants to seal his membership in the OA by going through the brotherhood ceremony, then yes, perhaps those questions are then applicable. "

By whom? The unit has no say in a Scout pursuing his Brotherhood.

Good point about the unit not having any input into if an arrowman completes Brotherhood.

A correction is due. The Lodge Flap is the only article that can not be worn by arrowmen that are not dues paying members in good standing with their Lodge. The Arrowman may still wear the Universal Arrow Ribbon at all times and the Sash when appropriate. Both are symbols of the honor that has been bestowed on the Scout(er)to which he has underwent an Ordeal to affirm and taken an Obligation to .....

In the OA the first duty of an Arrowman is to his Unit and there are to be no expectation of service at the Lodge and Chapter level.