Ever have this happen?

I'm going to throw out another scenario to think about.

Consider the scout who just never advanced. He was a member of the troop for a long time and went on campouts and attended troop meetings. The opportunity was there but he just never got past second class. When he turned 18, he signed on as an assistant SM for the troop. Should he suddenly be eligible for the OA just because he turned 18?

SWScouter

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beavah - I love your YP comment. On a personal level I find the whole YP thing just short of offensive. Last year at camp us adults were told we couldn't go on the astronomy over-nighter because they didn't have the manpower to enforce YP. I held my tongue but man that burned me up inside. So your observation that Scout(ers) aged 18-21 lead a double YP life further adds to the ridiculousness of the whole YP program. I suppose this is a topic for a new thread though.

SWScouter - Think of this, any person who joins as a 21+ Scouter can attend a few campouts and be eligible in exactly the same way you describe. Why pick on the 18-21 folks? Because they can hold youth offices, perhaps? Maybe an alternate requirement is in order?

"Aye, the OA Code... we were thinkin' it were more like guidelines, actual..."

Just reupped my OA membership as an adult (no chronologic confusion in my case).

Not having been actively involved in OA stuff for a long time (or as of yet), after hearing the above, I'd have to vote for consistancy. 18 years and one day makes an adult in court, in voting, in alcoholic beverage consumption, in BSA considerations, in YP considerations. Why not in OA membership?

And we all know the decisions of this forum are final...ummmm.

• 2 years later...

I'd opine that the main reason OA defines youth as "under 21" is because we have a structure of Sectional/Regional/National Chiefs and officers above the local lodges. If you want youth to fill those positions, then you need to give them time to develop as leaders and become known to those outside their local lodge.

The possibility of electing an 18-20 year old Scouter who earned First Class as a "BSA" youth is just an interesting by-product. ;-)

A professional I know has put young 18-21 adults into the College Scouter Reserve, and then adult nominated and approved them for the Order. Since he's one of the 300 or so Supreme Chiefs of the Fire, I do not think anyone is going to question him.

In my experience in our lodge we have had units elect 18-20 year olds to the OA, primarily long time female camp staff members. The rules say that a unit committee gets to select an adult member of its unit to the OA. So our lodge has always had defined it as the units designation of adult. I will check with our Lodge Advisor just to be sure I correct.

NW,

Unfortunately thatis going against national by laws. Anyone under the age of 21 who is up for election MUST have obtained First Class. So no females under 21 should be in the OA. Not my rules, but national's.

NW,

The only troop level position open to "adults" in the 18 to 20 age group is that of Assistant Scoutmaster. Why a unit would choose an 18-20 y.o. lady for such position is beyond me. If your Lodge is inducting women under the age of 21 it is doing so possibly in violation to the rules.

As far as girls...Scouting is already co-ed in Venturing, has been for years in Exploring. I doubt very much if Varsity or Boy Scouts will become co-ed and I hope I'm right. If it does I shall find some thing else for me and my son(s).

Brotherhood,

Then you had bloody well better start finding more young men to staff your Council Camps, Reservations, and High Adventure programs.

I've been commishing at Scout Camp a while now. I see the young women who serve us on staff. Guess what?? Most of them give 10 times more to Scouting than any typical 17 year old Brotherhood member who is going to age out and move on. The get the same pittance wage the young men staff do, they live in the same staff villages the young men staff do, and they work at least as hard as the young men staff.

We don't give them Jack Squat for recognition. So please remember there is a registered adult position called the College Scouter Reserve, then get your youth off their 4th points of contact, challenge them to live the ethic of Cheerful Service (even if it means they won't earn what they could flipping burgers at McDonalds), and get them out to Scout Camp to serve staff.

Otherwise, take young women in the Order in stride. Their day is coming. BTW, this weekend a 24YO young woman undertook her Vigil. She entered the Order after staffing 4 years, at 21. Next year, took her Brotherhood. Has continued to serve Scouting. The young men of the Lodge selection committee were stricken by her ethic.

I first have to issue an apology, I saw young women elected from units and thought they were under 21; Im not good at figuring out ages. So Im may not be correct what I thought was happening.

Adult positions in Boy Scouts are open to females and if a unit wishes to have them as ASM then they can.

I know when I was a scoutmaster our 18-20 year old ASMs were already OA members, but I dont think they voted in troop elections. I see in reading the rules I found on the web that they could have.

BTW I believe opening up Cubs and Boy Scouts to girls would be a good thing.

Not to get too technical but what constitues 'male' and 'female." I've know both youth (earned 1st Class) and a former Scoutmaster who are transgender.

There are no sex/gender requirements for OA. Just age, rank, and camping reqs.

Smoke this:

I have 47 active Scouts (age 11-17)on the charter and four youth who have turned 18 during the year. How many adult nominations does the troop get?

Does your answer chage if the four 18-year-olds register as ASMs?