How do you know what the suggested order for the Troop Program Resources is? Scouter magazine referred to Emergency Prep as the next theme but I haven't seen any "list". The boys are picking the ones they want to do, but it would be nice to know what is "supposed" to happen next month to encourage the boys to try a new theme idea.

Sheila

That doesnt mean you have to do those themes. Let the boys do what they want when they want. Just take two GIANT steps back and advise, not lead. Let them plan some things especially meetings. They need to keep the other scouts in the troop.

If you look at your SM handbook or the SPL Handbook, they discuss the annual Program Planning Conference. That's how your PLC selects their monthly themes, from the 36 in Troop Program Resources. Through a vetting process that includes the patrol members' review, committee coordination, review of the District and CO calendars, etc., the troop calendar is prepared. There's no order for the themes, other than ensuring that the 12 your PLC selects make sense.

The themes in Scouter are exact copies of the ones in Troop Program Resources. The Troop Meeting Plans need only responsible persons and time durations filled in, in most cases. I've found that they're about a 90% solution on average.

Recommendation: use all the resources provided to you, let everyone including the green bars do their jobs, and you can't go wrong.

KS

You guys are right on the money except for the name of the 3 volume set of themes. It is Troop Program Features.

The Troop Program Resources book is a companion that includes SM Minutes, Games for Pre-opening or Interpatrol Competitions, and other valuable resources.

Be sure to get all 4 books.

The TPF books also go into great detail about how to set up your Annual Planning Meeting

Wasn't trying to get you on a technicallity, but trying to save folks an extra trip to the Scout Store.

No games at the end of the last TPF though. You have to have the TPR for that.

Unfortunately, I've been a little deeper than I care to be in both sets recently due to the scouts changing games for the last Troop JLT and the fact that we haven't had a full 4 weeks to get in a feature before the next campout in a few months, thus cramming some together. That's the only reason I was up to speed on them.