OA Age requirement?

I don't normally stick my head into this newsgroup, but I figure it's the right place to ask.

Upon my son bridging to our Scout troop, I was slightly surprised to learn that we had a couple 12 year olds who were OA members. To the best of my memory, in my day one had to be 1st class rank and 14 years old to be eligible for OA membership. I was told the only requirement now is to be 1st class rank.

When was the age requirement removed?

Thanks in advance.

The only requirements are First Class rank and SM Approval. I have had some young First Class scouts that I did not put on the list their first time around. It was purely a maturity issue. Perhaps the rules have changed. Or, your SM may have set an arbitrary age limit. I personally don't agree with that, I'd base it on the maturity level of the scout.

If you go to www.oa-bsa.org and select Guide to Inductions

you will find all the requirements for the Order of the Arrow. They are (in a nut shell);

1. Unit leader approval

2. Be registered member of BSA (Troop or Team)

3. Hold rank of 1st Class as a minimum

4. Have 15 nights of Boy scout camping experience. These must include one but no more than one long term camp of at least 6 consecutive days and 5 nights of resident camping,

approved and under the auspices of the Boy Scouts of America. The balance is to be made up of overnight , weekend and other short term camp outs.

The requirements for scouts with special needs and Adult membership qualifications are listed as well.

This is an interesting thread since I've never heard of an age requirement, only the rank requirement of 1st class and the camping nights, SM approval, etc.

I am posting because I'd like to know why a SM would deny a scout the opportunity to be elected into the OA if he's met the camping and rank requirements? No mature enough? Why should the SM judge that? OA election is done by the boys in the Troop. Seems to me, the SM should not really have a say in the election of a scout to the OA.

Yes, yes, I've seen lots of guys get elected on popularity alone. Then they go through their ordeal at camp, get their precious red bordered pocket flap and never participate in chapter or lodge events again. But, then there are those that get elected, go through ordeal, attend chapter and lodge functions, maybe work and attain brotherhood. Aren't those the guys that the OA is supposed to made up of?

I've know a lot of guys that were immature when they were first elected - still with the OA and active. I've also known a lot of mature guys just get their red pocket flap.

" I'd like to know why a SM would deny a scout the opportunity to be elected into the OA if he's met the camping and rank requirements?"

There are times when SM's could or might know something about a Scout that maybe the Scouts don't know.

When the Scouts in our Lodge go up to camp for a OA weekend, they go up as individuals and the adult leader in charge is the Lodge Advisor. He may not know very much about the Scouts who are attending the weekend.We have over 200 Scouts attend these weekends, so there really is no way that he can be expected to cater to the individual needs of each and every Scout.

If the SM knows or is aware that a Scout has special needs or has issues that might not be met, he shouldn't approve this Scout.

Eamonn.

I was 13 years, 6 or 7 months old at my Ordeal. In retrospect, I probably should have been held back one year. I'm not sure I got the concept, even after the ceremony.

I've helped our membership advisors key data into our Lodge database; I've seen young men who are not yet 12 who have undertaken the Ordeal.

I wonder, but the vote is no longer mine, and has not been for 29 years. If an age requirement were to be imposed, that is the call of the National Chief and his leadership. If not, we adults are charlatans about the "youth run" aspects of the Lodge.

As far as with-holding a Scout from the eligibility list, that's a Scoutmaster's call. I just hope SM's use that discretion wisely.

My son did his ordeal when he was 12. I'm not sure he appreciated the significance of it. But I'm not sure the 15 year olds who did it with him does either. Of all the Arrowmen in our troop, only one is active in the lodge. Our SM is the lodge advisor, but can't seem to get the boys interested, even my son. I'm hoping as my son turns 14, he will get more active in OA, but it is his choice. We are going to Philmont next summer with the OA contigent.

I had just turned 13 when tapped out at Scout Camp in June. During my first Summer Camp, we were not allowed to watch the Indian ceremony even though it was held in an adjoining field. From a distance, (we watched) we saw the Chief and his helpers walk back and forth in front of the line of Scouts. It didn't make much sense but I knew it was exciting. The next Summer Camp, we were in the line to be chosen but nothing happened. Over those couple of years, I became APL, PL, ASPL and SPL and obtained Star and then it happened. Later, I went to my Ordeal. It took another year before I attended an OA meeting and then I was elected (then Clan) Chapter Chief. I didn't really know what to do other than I knew I wanted to learn to Indian dance and that became my mark which also lead to the Vigil. Had I not stayed in the OA through high school, I would not have figured much of it out. As I look back, I still only scratched the surface.

The OA is larger than any one person's desire and there is room for growth in so many areas. It is an organization that takes the village (concept) and many leaders to make it all happen. It takes the support of many adults to mentor, advise, and drive. It is worth the expense of energy, time and money. I would advise any Scout that has not gotten involved to do so and any adult that can give the time to do likewise. You won't regret it. fb

I guess I was a pretty old boy when I got into the OA, age 16, but once I got in I moved thru the levels pretty quickly. I was elected Chapter Chief my 2nd year as a member and kept that title for the 4 years following that I was a youth member (was Chapter Chief 4 terms a Lodge record) was even nomated for Lodge chief 2 years in a row but lost. I made vigil 4 years after my ordeal.

Thank you for all your interesting memories and experiences. Thank you for listing all the requirements. I know I left some out, but I was just focussing on a possible historical age requirement.

To get back to my original question, sifting through the responses, I gather that no remembers there ever being an absolute age requirement for OA, and that the 14 years of age requirement that I remember from 30 years ago (or think I remember) was imposed (probably arbitrarily and improperly) by the adult troop leaders at the time.

"To get back to my original question, sifting through the responses, I gather that no remembers there ever being an absolute age requirement for OA, and that the 14 years of age requirement that I remember from 30 years ago (or think I remember) was imposed (probably arbitrarily and improperly) by the adult troop leaders at the time."

I have a collection of OA Handbooks. While I did research thru them regarding OA election rules for Explorers, I've not looked at them in regards to any age requirements. Certainly, AFAIK, none have existed since the 70s.