Cubmaster looking for ideas

I'm a Cubmaster/Webelos Leader who has recently been called out, and am awaiting Ordeal. I'm really looking forward to helping out at Chapter in any way that I can.

When I crossed my Webelos recently, I did so on a grand scale... Firebowl setting, rented a camp lodge for the weekend, Firelighting Ceremony, Ashes, Arrow of Light for all 7, and asked the OA in to do the Crossing ceremony. We also worked in a call-out for two boys in two of the attending troops, those who missed the big one at Scout Fest. All of this gave the attending Cubs in the audience as well as the crossing Webelos a really impressive introduction to the OA, one that I could see made a really big impression on them.

Now this is something that I have seen so very little of... interaction between the OA and Packs. It almost never happens, at least around here. So as I move forward to a whole new set of responsibilities, I'm hoping some of you folks could give me some ideas: what, besides A of L and Bridging, are some ways that one might be able to bring Packs and the OA together? I feel that, along with the promise of bigger adventures and more opportunities in Troop, it would definitely help provide inspiration in boys to continue on with their Scouting careers.

Any input you guys might have would be wholeheartedly appreciated! :)

OK - I'm confused. If you have just become a member of the BS Troop when your Webelos crossed over this year, how have the camping requirements been met?

There are many ways that OA can, & does, support Cub Scouting. Here are some ideas from BSA National -

http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/resources/13-069/index.html

Two main ways are by doing service projects at Council Cub Camps & staffing Council/District Cub programs.

Please remember, OA, much more so than a regular BS Troop, is YOUTH run. As an adult member of OA it is NOT your job to plan programs or organize activities for the OA youth.

BTW - OA does not necessarily provide that many more opportunities within the Troop (beyond the POR of OA Rep). OA brings the boys outside their own little area of Boy Scouting (their Troop) to do "cheerful service" for the wider community.

ScoutNut,

Sorry, you don't know the whole picture. I was chosen by District. I have an older son who has been in Troop for a couple of years, though I have conducted/had more opportunities at overnight outings at Pack/Webelos level, including international events like the Rover-run Nite Hike up in British Columbia. I ran a pretty high-octane Webelos program. I am currently standing at 22 nights' camping in a 2-year timeframe, which includes Troop summer camp last year. I recently began working at ASM level with 2 Troops (I was not ASM when chosen), so yes, I am very active.

I'm well aware of the higher status of Youth-Run within the OA. I've been working with some OA youth for over a year now, so no worries! Folks shouldn't assume that when a Leader wears blue epaulets, that they automatically want to run the show. ;)

My thoughts were along the lines of possibilites of more opportunities of interaction betwen OA and Packs. From what I've seen, at least in my neck of the woods, so many leaders at Cub level have absolutely no idea what the OA is or does and so don't even try to utilize them, even for things like A of L. Visability definitely helps. So if anyone has *done* sucha thing that particularly worked well in this regard, I would certainly love to hear about it!

Thank you for your link and input, ScoutNut, the link certainly provides food for thought.(This message has been edited by featherbear)(This message has been edited by featherbear)

We just had the local Tribesmen of Mic-o-Say gather to do the T-W, W-B, B-W1, W1-W2 end of the school year Pack campfire.

ASSUMING the Arrowmen in your Chapter have made native attire, they can support this kind of evening as well.

John

I am not sure how your district nominated you, but they did not follow the rules for district nomination as it appears your primary registration is in the Pack or Troop. Therefor you were not eligable for district nomination.

This is why we have pushed for years to get ridd of district nominations, just because of this example.

nldscout,

You sure are working hard to be critical of a district you know nothing about.

Featherbear's district nominated him into the OA. You have no right, authority, or responsibility to question his district's process and protocol with their OA Lodge.

Your quote of, "I am not sure how your district nominated you, but they did not follow the rules for district nomination as it appears your primary registration is in the Pack or Troop. Therefor you were not eligable for district nomination." But featherbear's district did nominate him !!!!

"This is why we have pushed for years to get ridd of district nominations, just because of this example." WOW, the OA police.

There are special situations where a district at large nomination is needed as an option. For example, a new Scout troop or a smaller rebuilding Scout Troop, that has mostly adult leaders who are new to the BSA. Yet, a seasoned and trained adult leader that deserves an OA nomination, can't get one because the Troop Committee is learning how to support the Troop program, and has no idea what the OA is about. It would help to get this adult on board in the OA, in order to get these new Scouts thinking about the OA. Sure, this new or small Troop can wait a few years until the Troop's Committee learns about the OA and maybe considers it for the Troop and their adult leaders, but that's time wasted. Sure, the local OA Chapter Election Committee can come out and do an election in this Troop before an adult is involved, but I think it works better the other way around.

featherbear, have a great Ordeal. The fellowship you are about to enter, will give you all of the ideas you want, on how to get the OA involved with the Packs, or why not to get them more involved. Personally, I think Crossovers and Arrow of Light Ceremonies are enough. I think the Packs do not need to be prematurely exposed to everything on the Boy Scout level. It's called age appropriate activities, and I think the Order of the Arrow fits into that category.

sst3rd

OUCH, nld, that was rather harsh. Perhaps they chose me because I've been active helping out in district and Council-level events, as well as out-of Council matters. Or maybe it's because of redistricting, and the fact our Chapters are struggling to get back on their feet, as well as the districts trying to get back into pace after border-shifts. I'm sorry you feel I am so completely unacceptible, even without knowing much about me or what I do.

Thank YOU, John in KC, that's a really good idea.

And thank YOU, sst3rd, for your well wishes and giving me the benefit of the doubt. All I want to do is support the Chapter, support the Lodge, and support the youth in any way that I can. It's good to know that not everyone here wants to give me a kick to the teeth for wanting to be active and to to help out.

You may think its harsh, but the rules are there for reasons. Where your primary position is, is who is supposed to nominate you. Not to nominate people that would not be eligable.

"Perhaps they chose me because I've been active helping out in district and Council-level events, as well as out-of Council matters."

Adults are NOT supposed to be nominated for past service.

If you don't like it then I feel for ya, but those are the rules

*sigh*.... whatever, nldscout. I sure am glad I don't work with you.

I don't give a darn what you think...the fact of the matter is you don't know me at all, how I work, what I do, or what compelled them to think of me as a possibility for nomination in the first place. I don't know their reasons either, but the fact remains that they DID choose me. I feel very honored that they thought enough of me to select me, and I fully intend to do my very best by them and by the youth. End of story. Like it or not, I really don't care... it's not you who had any say in this. Thank goodness for that.

I come here for ideas, tips, advice, etc. NOT to fight. So please... just get off my back. Again, darned glad I don't work with you!

Just to add, I know darned good and well that selection is not a reward but a CALLING. It's not meant for what you've done, but what they hope you WILL do. That's a no-brainer.(This message has been edited by featherbear)(This message has been edited by featherbear)

In the Guide to Officers and Advisers it states:

Adult Leaders in Council or District Positions: The lodge adviser, district chairman, council president, or members of the professional staff may recommend adults to the lodge adult selection committee.

Recommendations of the adult selection committee, with the approval of the Scout executive, serving as Supreme Chief of the Fire, will become candidates for induction. All requirements set forth for adult leaders in units must be fulfilled, with the exception of the camping requirements, which may be waived at the discretion of the lodge adviser and Scout executive.

So, adults in council or district positions may become candidates even if they have not fulfilled the camping requirements. Many unit Cub Scouters also serve at the council or district level.

My Brothers,

What is done is done. Featherbear is a member of our Order, and deserves respect as such. We all went through the same Ordeal he did.

All we're doing now is having a urination contest. It's counterproductive.

May we please get back to the original question of featherbear's post? I'm always looking for better program ideas.

In Cheeful Service,

John

Here's an idea off the top of my head...

How about the local OA chapter put on a PowWow (similar to a Camporee), inviting all packs in district to participate - could include dance competitions, native american games, story telling, skills, foods, etc. etc.

Oh wow, SemperParatus, I like that PowWow idea!

Kids that age (Cubs and Brownies) LOVE learning about Native American culture. One of our favorite evenings at a Philmont training conference in 2004 was when a Venturing Crew came and did a Native American Dance demonstration for us.

And, Region 7 Voyageur is right. We Cub Scouters do get involved early at the district level -- even before we are members of a troop. One of my Cub Scouter friends is a roundtable comissioner, and I am on the District Training Committee. But the only thing I know about the OA, is that they often have a meeting in an adjacent room while we have our roundtable meeting, I've seen a few female Adult scouters with that funny white arrow patch on their uniforms,and that we occassionally run into them at our Council's scout reservation. Other than that, I just trust that it's not a "seceret organization"; I am sure that none of the other families in our Pack even know that it exists.

Well, except for the time the OA scout nearly set himself on fire lighting a campfire at our family camping event.... but that's another story... :-)

Sigh. Let's move on to other matters.

"Now this is something that I have seen so very little of... interaction between the OA and Packs. It almost never happens, at least around here. So as I move forward to a whole new set of responsibilities, I'm hoping some of you folks could give me some ideas: what, besides A of L and Bridging, are some ways that one might be able to bring Packs and the OA together?"

Until very recently, there had been little interaction between the OA and Cub Scouting. That is changing, on a National level. The OA has created some programs and materials to encourage lodges to do more with the Cub Scout youth. Check with your lodge (or better yet, check the national OA site)

That's definitely a good thought, Semper, especially since our Council is having a lot of difficulty in getting such things going.

Cheerful Eagle, you hit it on the head. That's what I was kinda getting at, in my own scattered way... while they are nationally trying to increase the visability at Cub Scout level, Leaders are still in the dark. The only Cub or Webelos leaders I've encountered that had any idea of what the OA is or does are just a couple of them at Roundtable who either have a spouse or son who is a member. While conversing with such leaders, I'll ask whether their units ever bring in an OA team for Arrow of Light at B&G or do a Crossing, the usual reaction is that they had no idea that was even available to them and they knew nothing about it. Now I can keep on talking to leaders and possibly putting a bug in their ear unit by unit in this fashion, but that's a slow way to go and frequently gets forgotten. A conversation doesn't have the impact that a visual does.

So there's certainly nothing wrong with looking around for ideas! Multi-unit/District Cub and Webelos events could certainly go a long way. thank you for the suggestions.