Does anyone out there belong to a lodge with a good Native American Drum Team? Is it Northern or Southern drum? Will they be competing at NOAC? How many people are on the team? Have they won any awards in the past?

Thanks,

Hillis

Hi, Hillis,

You are truly on track to become an avid American Indian hobbyist. Are you going to NOAC? If so, you will have many opportunities to enhance your education in this area. AIA at NOAC is filled with classes and activities that will be of great help to you. There are singing classes in which you can learn either southern or northern. And you can meet Scouts from your area.

I believe you are located in the SE; if so, you should look into attending the Carolina Indian Seminar and/or the Tiak Lodge Indian Seminar. Both of these are normally held around January and February. They are excellent events to attend if you want to learn from some of the same folks who teach at NOAC.

Another item I should mention about NOAC are the competitions. There are dance competitions for 5 categories of dance and you will be able to see the best dancers and outfits in the OA.

In addition there are craft competitions and there should be an "expo" in which staff members will display some of their best craft items.

Finally, There are two powwows: one in which only staff dance ("The Gathering of Nations") and an open powwow ("The Founders' Day Powwow"). Both of these are fun events...and you should feel free to ask any staff member any questions you have. They are always happy to help. How do I know? Because I am on the AIA staff and I know my colleagues well!

In Brotherhood,

Wisumahi

Yes, I am going to NOAC, and I will be competing in Lodge Drum, PreOrdeal, and Brotherhood ceremonies for Tonkawa Lodge 99. I'll also be taking classes, including many AIA classes. I'll be sure to ask many questions and get lots of help while I'm there. I don't live in the Southeast, but as the new ceremony chairman for my lodge, I'm trying to start a seminar in my area.

Thanks,

Hillis

Hi, again,

I am delighted to hear that you are headed for NOAC: it is a great event! You may find, though, that Ceremonies tend to deal with how lines are delivered, etc., and do not focus on the accuracy of outfits. For that aspect, you must look mostly to AIA.

There are also workshops on headdresses, beadwork, quillwork, and numerous other topics that may interest you. There are also classes galore!

If you do come to the staff powwow (Gathering of Nations), you will see some excellent outfits. I will be in an Old Time Sioux outfit, but there will be outfits from many categories and all are generally top notch.

In Brotherhood,

Wisumahi