Question:

Does a registered member of the Boy Scout of America (any program) HAVE to be a registered member of a Boy Scout Troop or Varsity Team to be a member of the Order of the Arrow?

What I am speaking of here, is after a qualified member has been elected/nominated, gone through the ordeal, and been inducted into the OA.

Some examples:

A qualified Boy Scout who has been inducted into the OA, but quits Boy Scouts and joins a Venturing Crew. Can they be a member of the OA and wear a lodge flap even though they are no longer registered in a Boy Scout troop?

A Venturing or Cub Scouting adult Scouter, who as a qualified Boy Scout or Varsity Scout or Boy Scout or Varsity Scout adult Scouter, who was properly elected/nominated and inducted into the OA as a Boy Scout or Varsity Scout or Scouter. Can they be a member of the OA and wear a lodge flap as long as they are registered dues paying member of their OA lodges even though they are no longer registered in a Boy Scout troop or Varsity team?

The short version: Once a Scout or Scouter has completed the Ordeal Ceremony, their membership in the Order depends only upon:

- Their being registered youth/adults in a Pack, Troop, Team, or Crew.

- Their paying annual dues to their Lodge.

Note: So far as I know, a member of a Learning For Life Post Post must have a registration in a Pack, Troop, Team, or Crew to be eligible for retaining Lodge and Order membership.

I was a youth member, a long... time ago. When I changed programs from a Troop to (at the time ... 1971) Explorer Post, I retained my status in the Order so long as I paid my dues.

When I came back to Scouting, joining my sons' Pack, I rejoined the local Lodge. Bought a new flap and wore it.

HTH.

ICS, John

a Good Old Owl Too

Ordeal: Walika 228, 1970

Brotherhood Ceremony: Walika 228, 1971