Eaglescout2004, it was made with flour, whole wheat flour, powdered milk, bran cereal, raisins, sugar and yeast(from memory). It was rolled out into logs about an inch in diameter then cut into lenghts of about 1-2 inches long then baked. I'm not sure whether this came from Ordeals way back when of our lodge or National. I do know our Arrowmen look forward to it at our Ordeals. I will let you know what I come up with.

I found this thru google. Google is a wonderful thing. Hope it helps.

Ordeal Bread

Ingredients:

1 cake yeast

4 Cups of milk powder, divided

1 cup 7 grains cereal

2 teaspoons salt

cup cooking oil

cup + one teaspoon sugar

4 eggs, beaten

1 cup oat meal

raisins, nuts, or bananas as desired

2 to 4 cups whole wheat flour

water

white flour for dusting working surfaces

cooking oil for greasing pans, etc.

Method:

Dissolve 1 cake yeast in cup warm water plus one teaspoon of sugar in a large container. Itfoams when it gets going.

Mix 2 cups of water with two cups of dry milk powder. Scald the mixture. (Scald means to heat carefullyuntil tiny bubbles start to form around the edges. Do not overheat or the milk will burn.)

Add to the scalded milk:

1 cup 7 grains cereal

2 teaspoons salt

cup cooking oil

cup sugar

Let this mixture cool and pour into a large pan. Stir in the yeast mixture.

Then add:

4 eggs beaten

2 cups dry skim milk powder

1 cup oatmeal

raisins, nuts, or bananas as desired

3 to 4 cups whole wheat flour

Let this mixture sit for 10 minutes in a warm place. Dust a work surface with flour and oil your hands. Kneed the mixture for about 10 minutes.

Preheat an oven to 375 for 10 minutes.

Roll a portion of the dough into a one inch diameter cylinder working the dough as little as possible. Cut the roll into two inch long pieces. Place pieces on a greased cookie sheet about two inches apart. When the sheet is full, cover with a damp towel and allow the dough to rise for at least 15 minutes.

Bake at 375 for 15 to 20 minutes. Check one by sticking with a tooth pick after ten minutes. When the tooth pick comes out clean, the bead is done. Cooking time depends on texture and is highlyvariable. Allow bread to cool.

The result is a heave, substantial Ordeal Bread that may be frozen. Allow plenty of time for baking the bread. Three members need most of a day to prepare enough for a large Ordeal. The recipe may be multiplied, but try a single batch first.

• 2 years later...

Here's my question: How many Candidates undertake the Ordeal in your Lodges processing in an Induction weekend???

We have something over 200/weekend, and we have 3 induction weekends each year. By our State law, youth under 18 cannot be COOKING in a commercial kitchen.

Making that much dough means industrial sized mixers...

We have a full cooking crew, since we have something on the order of 800 Scouts/Scouters on property during these three induction weekends.

It's amazing to make a full steam kettle of sausage gravy for Brotherhood candidate/Arrowman service breakfasts.

Again, how many Ordeals do other Lodges have who make Ordeal bread?

We don't have that many. Spring ordeal about 250,fall ordeal about 200 Scouts and Scouters.

Talk about sausage gravy I love it. A few years ago a few adults ask me to make SOS for breakfast.(for those who were never in the service Creamed Beef on Toast) Some of the boys asked what we were eating and if they could try it. As it turn out its on the menu every ordeal weekend and they look for it. Figure that out,that would be the last thing in the world I would think they would eat. You never know.

• 3 months later...

I just stumbled onto this thread and thought you might be interested to know a little history. Ordeal Bread was developed by Joyce Petit way back when. Joyce is the widow of the late Ray Petit, a truly wonderful Arrowman who was responsible for introducing the Spirit Books and was instrumental further in the development of our pre-Ordeal ceremony and the elangomat system. These were all products of the "Ceremonial Advisory Group" of which Ray was a key participant/leader.

I feel privileged to have shared many years of friendship and discussion with Ray and Joyce.