This post is specifically concerning the requirement of a boy to be actively registered with a BSA unit to remain active in the OA. I have a vague memory of reading last year that there was an exemption, for lack of a better word, for boys that have moved away from their home town (i.e. gone to college) and are no longer attending troop meetings, but are still active in the lodge (Lodge Officer).

I am chapter advisor and an ASM in a troop. I'm in the middle of "one of those" situations, you know, the whole politics thing where people are more intersted in their stake instead of what is best for the boys. I need help.

Does this rule sound familiar to anyone? And if so, where can I find it?

YIS

You may be thinking about the 'college reserve' registration, which I think they got rid of.

However, what most people need to understand is that per BSA, 'active' means 'registered'. So long as the troop keeps the boy as a registered member of the troop, that satisfies things. It only costs about $10 or so per year to be registered as an adult. That's what I did in college, and I kept active with my troop during the summer, no problem.

They can also be registered with a Venturing Crew, and I have heard of 'paper crews' that exist in some councils for no other reason then for boys off in college.

I would check with the Council Registrar and make sure what options are out there, I think that there is a code for kids (Scouts and Venturers at college)

What age are you looking at?

Most people who have graduated and gone off to college are over 18, that being the case they could be on a Troop Charter as an ASM or if selected even a member of the Troop Committee.

We have in these forums debated the meaning of active until the cows came home!!

My feeling is that everyone does what they can, when they can.

Is the Lad who is at college but works on the Troop web site active? I think so.

I for a lot of years didn't attend that many OA weekends, I had to work. I still paid my dues and if asked to do something gave it very careful consideration before either accepting to do it or not.

Of course a condition of membership of the OA is that you are a member of the BSA. It would be hard to be a member of Scoutings Honor Society, if you weren't a Scout of some sort.

Maybe before we try and find ways around things we need to address them head on.

Talk to the Scouts and explain that maybe they need to look at what they are doing, explain that the Lodge doesn't come first. Then if the Lad says that he is doing his best to be as active in his home unit as he can that ought to be the end of it. You can tell all the people who are asking silly questions to go take a hike.

Eamonn.

"You could always seek registration through your District. I would ask the District Chairman if I could be registered through the district, as part of the district camping committee. That should work out OK. "

It might not.

Many positions in Scouting you need to be 21 to hold. I know that in a troop you can be an ASM at 18, but must be 21 to be on the Troop Committee. Don't know about District/Council levels.

I must have misread this post. I thought we were looking for a solution for the original poster, who says he is a chapter advisor. That would make him at least 21, and in fact it would also make him a member of the district's camping committee (though perhaps not registered as such).

Now if we need an option for a youth... find another unit, try that college reserve thing, or go the lone scout route.

I think that the college reserve program or something like that is what I was thinking of.

I didn't want to bother you guys with all the details, because they are long and dark. But it looks like there were some assumptions made.

Imagine that there are three ASM's in the troop. ASM1 and ASM2 have a grudge against each other. ASM1's son was placed on probation for six months following an assault on another scout. ASM2's wife was committee chair. ASM1 had grudge against ASM2, and pulled ASM2's son into it. ASM1 is best friends with SM. ASM2 left troop to keep the peace and a new chairperson came in as well.

ASM3 is the Chapter advisor. ASM2's boy (an eagle) is elected chapter chief and serves faithfully for a year. Then ASM2's boy is elected lodge secretary. Of course, ASM2's boy does not necessarily want to be around the troop that much due to conflicts with ASM1.

It is common in this troop for boys to be on charter for a year or more, even if they are not attending meetings.

After much time of no issues, ASM3 sees ASM2 at a fundraiser. ASM2 imediatly launches into a tirade questioning how son of ASM2 can be active in OA if not active in troop. I stalled - this is not the time and place to discuss...

Then I found out that the boy is still on roster but considered by SM as 'inactive' and in danger of being dropped from roles at recharter time. SM says boy needs to attend meetings, boy does not want to attend meetings due to possibilities of running into ASM1

yeah, I know, there's a lot more here than meets the eye, I just wanted to know if this exception was still around or not.

Solution...Our lodge OA dance guys have a venture crew! Looks like our lodge secretary may be dancing from now on

Helpfulness,

Cheerfulness,

Bravery (sticking with it through the crap takes courage)

and reverence (things like this brings me to my knees).

Thanks for the help.

YIS!