"In the Order of the Arrow adults are advisers, not advisors. I'm not sure why the spelling difference, but I was put in my place on this topic earlier this year. There is probably some sort of special meaning to the -er versus -or. Maybe one of the OA types can clarify the difference.

So advisers we are, advisors we are not. "

The word is adviser; "advisor" is just a misspelling

"The word is adviser; "advisor" is just a misspelling"

"Advisor" is NOT a misspelling. My dictionary on my desk gives both adviser and advisor as correct terms.

Advisor is the term that is used in Venturing (and used in Exploring previously) and by other organizations.

Why the OA useds the 'er' spelling and Exploring choice the 'or' spelling, I have no idea.

My apologies; I shouldn't have described it as a misspelling. I had looked at a Concise Oxford, Dictionary and on a more careful scrutiny I see that it denotes 'advisor' as a disputed usage.

Quote, "the disputed form advisor is probably influenced by the adj. advisory"

I would still hold that the correct term is 'adviser' but if one allows the other usage 'advisor' there is no difference in meaning.

According to the official BSA Terms and Style Guide, "Advisor" is the top adult leader of a Venturing crew. "Advisor" is always capitalized.

The term "adviser" is used when describing any counselor other than a Venturing Advisor. Example: "Order of the Arrow lodge adviser."

Since we are pole vaulting over mouse turds about two vowels, let me re-state the concept I laid upon the table early in the thread:

Within a Lodge (and all the way up to the National Committee) ADULT MEMBERS act in an ADVISORY capacity. We had our shot at decisionmaking, it's not our turn anymore. The patch may say adviser, the job is giving advice, the capacity is advisory.

YOUTH are the ACTORS. They make the decisions.

Clear enough?

rpushies

Advisor vs Adviser - the way it was explained to me was that it had been done to distinguish between the position of post advisor for an explorer post and lodge adviser for an OA lodge. Any other theories?