Question to member LodgeChief

I take it from your post in the membership thread that your Lodge is keeping the OA number.

How did you, your LEC, and your supporting Professionals arrive at that decision?

To other youth Arrowmen, from someone who can't vote anymore :) (x2 plus) ... sometimes the history IS more important than the guidelines.

TIA

According to what I read on this topic, lodges keep there numbers, but when they sign up for events, they use the council number. The exact details of this can be found at http://oa-bsa.org/annc/opup/OPUP-04-9.pdf where it says

"Lodge numbers are not being taken away; they are just not going to be used nationally to report and register OA lodges. Instead lodges will be identified by lodge name, and council number."

meamemg

thanks for citing the reference, you beat me to it.

Some lodges are continuing to use the lodge number on flaps and other insignia. My lodge is keeping it in the same place it's always been. Another lodge in the section is ghosting the old number in the patch, a very nifty way of keeping it on the patch.

I did not know about the whole no lodge number thing anymore until NOAC last year. I noticed that there was a new number next to my lodge name on my name tag. I soon came to learn that it was our council number. The way I understood it after that was that national said that lodge numbers weren't going to be used anymore after that. Everything would be done with council numbers. They said that lodges could keep using their numbers after that. We still use them oon our flaps and other patches and anything relating to the lodge. Whenever we fill out paperwork for national though, we use council numbers. Someone told me it was because the lodge was a part of the council so the lodge shouldn't get a different number. This is what I was told.

Our Lodge number is part of our totem, so we can't get rid of it with out changing our totem....thats the loophole we're exploiting. All of the lodges in our section are still using their numbers, I think more for the purpose of cheers and that during Conclave

Gentlemen...

You've made a good and proper decision IMO. History is worth keeping.

Thank you for your feedback.

In Friendship, Warmth, and Cheeful Service (yes, I'm also Mic-O-Say ;) )